Saturday, March 28, 2009

Back on the Bikes Again

Started this morning with the usual Saturday morning cartoons. The Strawberry Shortcake episode was a follow-up to last week's story about Honey Pie Pony and Ice Cream Island. This time, Honey Pie receives an invitation to attend Ice Cream Island's Filly Festival and be the grand marshal in their parade, but an evil horse-napper may spoil the kids' plans. This was the first episode of the revival to feature an actual villain. (Original bad guys Sour Grapes and the Peculiar Purple Pie Man would be revived a year later.) Many parents complained that it didn't fit the lighter tone of the series. I think they're the ones who need to lighten up. A little action never hurt a girl. Not everything can be hearts and flowers.

Just ask the Care Bears, who dealt with one of Grizzle's more forward attempts to take over Care-a-Lot. He dared to do something villains even in adult films don't - just walk in and say "I'm taking over" by sucking off the bears' Belly Badges that allow them to use their magical powers. However, he neglected to look for non-bears. McKenna, the Bears' kid friend, was in Care-a-Lot trying to learn how to share. She wasn't having much luck with it, constantly expecting something for nothing. Share Bear gave her half of her Belly Badge to try to get the general idea across. McKenna was going to take off with it, but she finally decided that the Bears had been too nice to her to abandon them.

I finally got a hold of Michael, my next-door neighbor, after the shows ended. I saw him at work yesterday and he told me he'd take a look at the bikes. I ran a few errands in the neighborhood while he worked on the blue cruiser. Went to the bank really fast to deposit my paycheck, and since he was still working on it when I got in, I walked over to Dad and Uncle Ken's to return the wrench I borrowed last week. Jessa was the only one home when I got in. I had a short chat with her. She's understandably excited about her school trip next week. Her senior class is going to spend a week in Walt Disney World, Universal Studios Orlando, and Clearwater Beach. She's especially excited about the big Illuminations fireworks and light show in Epcot. I can't blame her there - the version I saw with Dad in 1990 was awesome.

Michael had finished the cruiser bike and was starting the mountain bike when I got in. The chain and gears were loose; all had been tightened and de-rusted. He said I do still need to replace that dented back wheel, though. I know I do. I've been looking for bike wheels everywhere, but no one seems to carry them, not Target, not Wal Mart, not anybody. He suggested checking bikes left on the side of the road or at yard sales with useable tires; I'll look into that.

The news wasn't as good with the mountain bike. Some of the gears were stripped and the brake pads were goners. The brakes are practically useless. I made a quick stop at Wal Mart to see if they had brake pads, but alas, that was one of the few things they were out of in their bike section. After a quick Arby's lunch, I made a big shopping trip at the Acme. I needed to restock some pantry essentials, like jello and canned fruit, after I cleared out old canned goods on Thursday, and my fruit basket and vegetable crisper were getting low.

It was too late when I finally got back in to make a trip to Philadelphia or to Haddonfield like I'd originally planned. I just went for a ride to Newton River Park instead. I had a great ride, despite the lousy weather. It was cold, damp, windy, and cloudy, but my bike soared. There were a surprising amount of people out today, too. I passed joggers, dog-walkers, elderly couples, and parents taking their kids out to get rid of some energy before our next round of rain. I made a quick stop at CVS for mouthwash before heading home.

Spent the rest of the night baking and cooking. I made home-made chicken noodle soup with some of the chicken stock I made earlier in the week. (Alas, I spilled part of it when I took it out of the container, but there was enough left for the soup, which came out quite well.) I also made Hot Apple Muffins from my British baking cookbook and gave four to Michael to thank him for fixing the cruiser bike and at least finding the problems on the mountain bike.

No comments: