Thursday, March 19, 2009

Tennis, Anyone?

Rose and I did finally play tennis late this morning. Turns out that when I called her about it this morning, she was still in bed! I didn't mind. She's on her spring break. She NEEDS her sleep. After she got out and picked me up, it took us almost 20 minutes to find the Camden County Park tennis facilities. Rose got the directions from her boyfriend...but I don't know WHAT happened. Either he gave her the wrong directions, or she misheard him. They argued for at least ten minutes over Rose's cell phone while we drove around and around the Camden County Park area. I spent those ten minutes trying hard not to fall over laughing. It was like something out of a bad sitcom.

We had a good time when we did finally find the tennis courts. Rose and her boyfriend Craig hit the ball around every now and then, and Rose used to play with her friend Sheila, and before that with her best friend Colleen, who played on our high school girl's tennis team. The last time I played tennis was with a bunch of girlfriends in high school gym class who were just as bad as me. Rose showed me the right stance for hitting it and backhand. I felt really good. I didn't want to be perfect. I just wanted to hit the ball at all. I did hit the ball, many times.

We played for about an hour. Our lesson was finally called on account of Mother Nature. It had been damp, chilly, and cloudy all morning, and those clouds finally burst around quarter after 12. What had initially been just a sprinkle had turned into a shower by the time we hit Rose's car and were on our way back to my apartment.

It was still showering an hour later. I finally opted for a ride to work. Dad was late, and I felt bad about being late...but I'd been called in early anyway. Not to mention work was almost a complete repeat of yesterday - on-and-off steady, quiet enough that I did manage to get a lot of candy organizing done. (I'd rather be organizing candy than handling idiots.)

No comments: