Saturday, March 21, 2009

An Ode to a Day Off

Yes, today was my only day off on what has been a rather busy week. I mostly spent the morning watching TV. Strawberry Shortcake and her crew helped Honey Pie Pony, Strawberry Land's only filly, get to Ice Cream Island, where the other horses apparently live. Honey Pie loves not being the only one of her kind...but she misses the kids, too.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I've mentioned how out-of-place I feel here. I'm the only unmarried, childless, relationship-less 30-year-old in the neighborhood...or really in all of South Jersey. I've never met anyone else my age who didn't have children (or even pets), wasn't in a relationship, and spent most of their time alone, on their bikes, or in libraries. It's really hard to be one of a kind.

Grizzle the Mechanical Bear showed two distinct sides today on The Care Bears. He was more pathetic than anything in the first story, where he was looking for his robot buddy Mr. Beaks and was so paranoid, he thought the Bears took him. They didn't, naturally, but were finally able to placate him with one Grumpy made...before Griz finally realized just how ridiculous he was acting. Grizzle was more of a typical bad guy in the second story. Bedtime rescues the other bears when Grizzle's newest machine invades their dreams and keeps them awake at night.

I ran Get Smart for a little while before I decided I wanted to hit the bank on my way to the Friends in Deed Thrift Shop. I told Erica I'd volunteer today, since she said they really needed the help. Once again, not only did they NOT really need help (there were two other volunteers there), but I didn't do much. I did help wrap and box a massive, really beautiful set of china for a Hispanic woman who was going to give it to her daughter for a wedding gift. I didn't make a lot of finds, but they were pretty good - a never-worn Layne Bryant false-layered shirt and a vintage paperback-style copy of the original Empire Strikes Back Marvel Comic Books. (I still have one of Rose's 1983 Return of the Jedi comic books, but I've never seen the ones from the earlier movies or in the book format rather than magazine-like.)

Since it was such a nice day, I browsed around Westmont before going home. Walgreens had finally gotten more WebKinz Lil'Kinz in - I bought a Black and White Cat. I also bought a giant egg-shaped sugar cookie from MacMillan's Bakery across from Walgreens and an Easter hanging from the party store a few doors down. By that point it was getting late, so I just headed home. Spent the rest of the evening baking bread, watching more Get Smart, and making Honey-Wine Glazed Chicken, Broccoli, and Whole Wheat Pasta for dinner.

Oh, and meet Felix, my Lil' Black and White Cat! I'm not sure where I'm going to put him, since he's a surprise find. Maybe I'll move him in with Miles the Black Bear, who has some extra room in his place after I moved Marza the Panda to the Asian Room.

No comments: