Friday, March 05, 2010

All-Day Work

I can't believe I overslept this morning. I thought I set the alarm for 7:30, but when I woke up, the clock said quarter of 9...and I had work at 10! I rushed my breakfast of leftover brown rice pudding and half a grapefruit and just barely made it to work on time.

It's a good thing I did. Work was on-and-off busy again. It's the first Friday of the month. In addition to all the usual annoying beginning-of-the-month people, we're get people who reguarly get paid today or are looking for the great sales (Friday is the first day of this week's sales).

I don't really mind working eight hours, which is why I agreed to come in early. It's easier than working six hours. When you work eight hours, you get two breaks. Six hours only gets you one break. It can be a real pain in the rear. (I get to do six hours tomorrow. Oh joy.)

Got my vacation requests in this morning when I arrived. I asked for the week of March 19th-March 25th for the last of this year's vacation time. I had thought of asking for around April 14th which is my birthday, but everyone asks for April off. Besides, there's a lot going on that week. Rose's huge baby shower is the 20th, and I have counseling on the 25th.

Lauren wants to get together early this year, around Memorial Day week. She says it's the only time she can get. The head front-end manager seemed a little skeptical, but hey, they did give me not only Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but a day earlier that week off (not to mention New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, and a day before that). Besides, I'd work the Fourth of July and Labor Day, and it's not like I haven't worked every Memorial Day since 1999 anyway.

Not only that, but Lauren is finally going to come visit here. She's put it off because she's (understandably) afraid to drive through the traffic in New York and Philadelphia. Last year, however, I found a way around the traffic in both cities...or more specifically, under and over it. My train trips to Albany and back were wonderful. The trains were large, clean, well-appointed, and generally on-time. The Albany train station was brand-new and gorgeous. The 30th Street Station in Philadelphia is a National Historic Landmark. Penn Station in (or under) New York isn't quite as nice, but it's at least clean and staffed with friendly people.

Most of the things I've planned - riding around the small towns, hitting the Deptford Mall, seeing Independence Hall and Market Street in Philadelphia, a stroll on the Boardwalk and the outlets in Atlantic City - should be open at any time of the year. They wouldn't even be effected by bad weather, not even the flooding we hit at Pittsfield on my second day there last year.

Today was also Employee Appreciation Day at the Acme. We didn't have an elaborate spread like last year, but one of the managers did give me a plate of goodies - donuts, candy, and a mini apple strudel from the bakery.

Most of work actually went pretty well...until it was time for me to leave. We were short on help all day. Two cashiers (including the one I replaced) called out to attend funerals. Another one was in a car accident. Her father actually called to say she wouldn't be in! (Poor kid. She's one of our best teenage workers, too. I seriously hope she's ok.) I still had a line when I shut down. A manager finally came in for me.

Stopped at FYE first after work. I wanted to see if they had the present I wanted for Rose's baby shower. They did, indeed. I grabbed that and renewed my membership card, too.

Went to Tu Se Bella Pizzeria for dinner. That may not have been a good idea. It was 6:30 by then, prime dinner time, and the place was packed to the gills. I finally took my slices of vegetable and mushroom pizza into the main dining room to get away from the crowds at the counter!

Headed back to the Acme to do grocery shopping next. I didn't have nearly as much as I did last week, but it was still a pretty good-sized order. I restocked my fruit and packs of fish, bought Smart Balance 50/50 butter on sale and with a coupon. Land o' Lakes Brown Eggs were on sale, too. The Oteker Mousse Mixes and Keebler Graham Cracker Crusts were also on sale. I grabbed the Acme Light Cool Whip and decided to make a pudding pie for dessert.

And good news/bad news on my schedule. Good news - lots of hours, and most of them are early. I think there's once again only one 7PM day. Bad news - only one day off, on a week where I have a LOT to do. I wish they'd load up my hours on weeks when I actually need the money.

No comments: