Saturday, March 27, 2010

Last Day of Vacation

I slept in, then spent what remained of the morning working on crocheting and sewing projects. I'm making a big felt apple pot holder from the American Girl Molly's Craft Book. I sewed the leaves on this morning. It only required the whipstitch, which I can figure out. It came out pretty well; at least the leaves are on the apple now.

Had lunch at 1:30, then went for a ride around 2PM. It was a lovely day, cooler than it has been (51, according to the sign at Beneficial Bank on the White Horse Pike), but sunny and windless. I rode into Audubon. I haven't been around there in forever, not since I bought my WebKinz baby penguin back in January.

I had a really nice ride. I stopped at Abbie Road Used CDs to say hi to the owner, Bob. Got the greatest hits of John Cougar Melloncamp and a two-CD set The White Cliffs of Dover that I had on cassette, but the cassettes weren't in great shape. Bought macaroons from the nice lady at Dessert By Design. I even saw the little pastries my sister bought for the baby shower last week.

My next stop was Willie the Woodsman and Wife, the little gift shop on Pine Street in Audubon. The lady who owns and runs the shop, Gloria, told me they were having a buy one, get one free sale for WebKinz. Cool! I bought the Black Panther for me and something for my best friend Lauren for Easter. I had a nice chat with Gloria about my reluctance to go back to work next week, too. She's one of the only people around here who understand how I feel about my job. Yeah, it's great to make money, but the stress is driving me nuts.

I just rode around Audubon and Oaklyn for a bit after that. It was a great day for it. There were tons of people out. Kids rode scooters and did tricks on home-made ramps. Parents walked toddlers in strollers. Teenagers chatted together in small knots. People jogged, chatted on each other's porches, and worked in their yards.

Spent the rest of the evening quietly at home after I got in. I've had these vintage handkerchiefs I got for free from the thrift shop since I got them a few years ago. I was going to make them into clothes for the Sailor Soldiers, but I never got around to it. I used a pink and purple floral print and a tie that had been cut off of an old wrap and made...what I thought was going to be a skirt, but the hole was too wide. Sailor Neptune, my gracious model, is now wearing it as a poncho.

Watched The Incredible Hulk while crocheting and eating baked flounder with mushrooms, baked sweet potato, and sauteed cabbage and carrots for dinner. The second time seems to be the charm for one of my favorite Marvel superheroes. They'd apparently filmed the Hulk just a few years prior, but it didn't go over well at the box office. (Though I'd still like to see that one as well.) This version didn't light the world on fire, either, perhaps because it came out in the same summer as the massive hits Iron Man and The Dark Knight. That's a shame. Edward Norton's thoughtful take on Bruce Banner and the awesome action sequences (including that slam-bang finale) deserve a much wider audience. From what I gathered at the time, more people saw this for the cameo in the finale than for anything in the rest of the movie.

Oh, and meet George, the Black Panther, the last of my BeatleKinz! Like his mates, he now lives in the BeatleKinz' LondonKinz flat.

No comments: