Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Don't Stop Believin'

Since I got up early this morning, I started my day by getting rid of some very overripe bananas and made Banana-Honey Muffins from the muffin cookbook my friend Jen gave me last Christmas. I've been wanting to do some baking, and I figured I'd get it done before it got too hot.

Good thing I did, because it ended up being VERY hot today, into the 90s. I was sweating already by the time I headed out for this morning's errands. My first stop was PNC Bank to see if the error with my college payments check was fixed. Yes, it was.

I headed back towards Oaklyn and did library volunteering there next. The kids were there with their teacher when I arrived, so I just organized the DVDs for a while. After they left, I did the children's section.

My next stop after leaving the Library was WaWa. I needed milk, and I decided to grab the $2.99 roast beef hoagie that was on sale as part of WaWa's annual summer "Hoagiefest."

By this point, it was roasting. I headed home, had my hoagie and the last of a bag of pretzels for lunch, and did chores around the house. I've been wanting to wash the window blinds forever, but I discovered this afternoon that I really have no actual way to do it. I took the four in the living area/kitchen outside, but I ended up losing the hook for the knob that closes the blinds on one and almost broke two others. I tried washing them on the porch, but they just got dirty. I tried laying them on my two deck chairs, but they lay awkwardly. I ended up wiping the other four down indoors.

I also got the bathroom done this afternoon. I just did it not too long ago, but I want everything to be as squeaky clean as possible for my visitors next week. It didn't take as long to do as I thought it would, considering I did a thorough job. I was finished with time to work on crocheting and adding Captain Ron to my DVD inventory before making lemon pepper salmon and spinach salad for dinner.

My co-worker Jade picked me up at 7:30 to head to the TreeHouse Cafe in Audubon for their Open Mic Night. Apparently, several of her co-workers in her other job play there. The TreeHouse Cafe is a coffee house in Audubon that's popular with families, college students, local merchants, and mothers looking for a place to meet and talk about their children.

Open Mic Night was pretty much what you think it is. Six guys and two women played acoustic guitar and sang along. One Autistic guy did a stand-up routine about his reaction to the Flyers' win that wasn't bad (but probably would have been even better if he'd finished it). The ladies and two of the guys were quite good. One lady did a wonderful version of Sheryl Crow's "Picture"; the other did a lovely "Hallelujah". Most of the guys did their own material, but the last one performed several songs by Boston and Journey. Other than flubbing lines on "Don't Stop Believin," he was excellent. The guy before him was loud, fast, and quite a good singer. The remaining four guys were good-to-decent guitarists, but not-great singers...including Jade's friend.

Jade and her friends chatted long after the place closed, but I was getting restless. I had enjoyed the performances, but I didn't really know these people. I'm not good at talking with people I don't know. It's something I need to try to work on; that "comfort zone" thing again. Otherwise, I had a good time and may try to get up there again some night. Jade's a really sweet girl, too.

No comments: