Sunday, May 16, 2010

Flying Solo

I awoke to sunshine pouring through my bedroom window...and a phone ringing. It was Mom, calling to ask me how I was doing this week. We didn't talk for too long. She had just watered her indoor plants and wanted to do some yard work. I hadn't even had breakfast! I told her I was fine.

In all perfect honesty, no, I'm not fine. I've been thinking a lot about what happened last weekend. I'm nervous about meeting new people, and last week reminded me of why. It just rarely seems to work out. Everyone suggests something, but every time I try to join a big group, I just try to hide in the corner. I can't do it. I feel too shy. I don't talk to people well. I stammer and I stutter and I sound silly.

Maybe I should start saving my money for more classes like the yoga class. I just don't know what I'd be interested in, though. Dance classes cost money - you need clothes in addition to the classes themselves. Maybe a cooking class, or a sewing class. Someone could finally teach me how to work that darn sewing machine.

After I got off with Mom, I made Whole Wheat Pancakes with Banana Syrup while listening to Brunch With the Beatles. The theme today was "Solo Beatles Efforts." Had a great time with them. Only complaint is they missed my favorite solo Ringo Starr song, "Oh My My"...but they did get my favorite solo numbers from the others. I heard George Harrison's "All Those Years Ago," John Lennon's "Watching the Wheels" and "Woman," and Paul McCartney and Wings' "Live and Let Die."

I went for a long walk after the Beatles show ended. There's a cul-de-sac town between Oaklyn's ramp and the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center called Audubon Park. I realized yesterday that, despite living here for over five years now, I'd never really explored the area properly.

Audubon Park has an interesting back story. From what I gathered, it was set up by minority workers and their families in Camden who felt disenchanted with housing there. There's apparently fewer families there than there used to be, despite the fact that all I saw there today were families, older couples, and a bunch of teenage boys playing in the street hockey park. To make up for the houses all being very dull, uniform white 50s models, the tiny yards were well-landscaped and filled with flowers and trees of every description. There was a little playground near the end of Road "A" (that was it's name - yes, there was a Road "B" and "C" too). The playground wasn't in great shape. The steps on the mini-boat I played in were broken. The ground was covered with this funny-smelling bouncy material that I suspect was recycled tires.

I did see something really cute on my stroll. Audubon Park's former elementary school is now Tippy Toes Day Care. They had these cute little playhouses in what was once the school yard, all painted to look like normal businesses. There was a fire house, a post office, and a Town Hall - even a Citizen's Bank! (I'm assuming they provided funding for the playhouses.)

Another interesting fact about Audubon Park. Every street in town (except for Road "A," "B," and "C" and School Drive) is named after some type of bird. I saw Flamingo Drive, Robin Terrace, Dove Terrace, Ibis Drive, Kingfisher Lane, Hummingbird Road, and Bobolink Drive, among others. Also, most of these "terraces" and "lanes" are really sidewalks leading to various houses or circular drives between houses. It's really hard to get between homes and very easy to get lost.

Also, like many 50s developments, there's no trees lining the roads in Audubon Park. I got very hot and parched on my walk! I headed back to Oaklyn, hoping that Leo's Yum Yums would be open. They weren't. I went home and had a Lemonade Edy's Fruit Bar instead.

I spent the rest of the afternoon hanging around inside. I worked on editing the role play, but I really got bored. This is where the whole friend thing might come in handy. Oh, well. It's my own fault for being too shy and scared to know where to go. I say this stuff, but then I feel fine when I'm busy.

I did make a nice dinner of cornmeal-battered tilapia, steamed asparagus, and vanilla sweet potatoes.

No comments: