Sunday, May 02, 2010

My Own Little Fan

Started today with French Toast (made with my Broa corn bread, an egg and egg white, and buttermilk) and grapefruit for breakfast. Brunch With the Beatles had a good theme on today, too, "Questions and Answers," i.e, songs with questions in them, either in the titles or somewhere in the lyrics. I like it when they have a broad theme. They come up with some great stuff. (Songs heard today include "Do You Want to Know a Secret?", "If I Fell," the solo George Harrison song "What Is Life?," and the awesome Wings James Bond theme to "Live and Let Die.")

I called Mom twice before I finally caught her around noon. She was busy cleaning the house while Dad's out fishing and Keefe is babysitting. Though pollen season has largely seemed to subside here, Cape May County is apparently still in the midst of it. She and Dad made sure to have no trees in their back yard after the tree-filled yard in North Cape May gave them nothing but trouble...but all the neighbors around them have trees that apparently like to shed in their yard. I didn't get to talk to her for long. She was on her way out to rake the mess and clean.

Did a few things online and around the house after the Beatles show ended. I changed the American Girls dolls into their summer clothes. Felicity now wears her Pink Spring Dress and floral pinner apron. Samantha wears her "Middy" sailor dress. Little Jess wears her green Girl Scouts shorts with her striped "First Day" original outfit shirt. Poor Molly owns no summer clothing at all, and both of her summer outfits are on back order at the AG site. She'll just continue wearing her Birthday Pinafore until I or Mom can make her some shorts and a blouse or a summery 40s dress.

It was cloudy this morning, but by quarter of 2, the sun had come out. I decided to make a quick trip to WaWa and buy a hoagie for lunch. I'm glad it was quick. It's still really hot, in the upper 80s, though a nice breeze helped somewhat. I grabbed a small bag of pretzels and a Turkey and Swiss Junior hoagie for lunch. I had 20 minutes when I got home to wolf it all down, change, pack dinner, and head out.

Work wasn't too bad. At least, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be at the beginning of the month. It was steady when I got in, but by 7, it was so dead, I closed down early and cleaned up around the registers instead.

I needed a second, larger fan. My old box fan that I had in Wildwood died two years ago. I didn't bother replacing it because it was so chilly last summer. It's been so hot and sticky these last few days, though, that I really couldn't go without another fan unless I wanted to turn on the air conditioner early...which I didn't. I bought the last box fan they had and managed to ride it home balanced on my bike basket.

As far as I can tell, it works just fine. At least, it's a bit cooler in here. I'm hoping it'll help with air circulation, too. It also has slats to steady it, something my old box fan could have used.

Got home in time for the second half of The Dress Circle. "The Shows of May" was the theme tonight. This being the last qualifying month before the Tony Awards, they had lots to work with. I heard music from Gypsy, the Disney stage version of Tarzan, and the recent revivals of 110 In the Shade with Audra Ann McDonald and Sweet Charity with Christina Applegate.

No comments: