Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mall Rats

It was not a pleasant day when I got up this morning. It was in the 50s, pouring, and gray. This was especially a pain because I'd planned on going to the library later, and I had laundry to get done. I got up early and went over around quarter of 10.

I needed have rushed. The laundry never got in the dryer. My sister Jessa was home from college. Her boxes and bins from her dorm room were piled on and around the kitchen island, where apparently they'd been since she'd finished her term a few days ago. She was in the midst of finishing her laundry...or so she said.

Three hours later, and her laundry was STILL in the dryer. I'd gotten her to take most of her things upstairs (except for dishes and silverware that would have to be stashed in the basement), since she said Dad was supposed to be home today. We watched the first Meatballs (the one with Bill Murray) on Comedy Central, and earlier had Mall Rats on, but by this point, Jessa was napping and I was getting bored. I switched to Go Diego Go! on Nick, but that didn't really help, as cute as it was to chase after whistling ducks and tree frogs.

Jessa said she'd wanted to go to the Cherry Hill Mall to exchange a dress she bought at Urban Outfitters. That sounded fine for me. It was still showering, and the weather really wasn't right for riding the bike anywhere. Not to mention, her laundry was STILL in the dryer. Apparently, she stuffed most of her laundry from her last weeks at college in there!

We walked around the Cherry Hill Mall for about two hours. They just finished a massive remodeling job there last year. Frankly, I'm not quite as fond of it as the Deptford Mall. It's a beautiful mall with tons of history (it was the first mall built on the east coast), but the stores are mostly upscale boutiques.

I did find a few things I needed. I decided to try Build-a-Bear clothes for my AG dolls. I bought a skirt and peasant blouse outfit and some shorts for my modern doll Jessa. No, none of the boutiques had anything I liked (what's with those awful ripped shorts?), but I did finally find a sensible pair of jean shorts to replace the ones that got a hole in them and (yet another) new pair of work pants at JCPenney.

Jessa and I finally had a snack at the food court around quarter of 5. I had cookies. She had sushi. Dad called her while we ate. We'd taken his van because she was worried about her old Buick's engine smoking. Dad had arrived at home...and he wasn't happy with us taking off with his car without permission or leaving a mess in the laundry room and kitchen.

We went home shortly after that. The traffic going back was bad, and we had to do a lot of circling around to avoid it. When we finally got back to Dad and Uncle Ken's, there was a mini-party going on. Jodie had gotten in from work, and Rose was there with her baby son Khai to do his wash.

No, my laundry never did get in the dryer. Rose said she'd put it in sometime tonight and bring it over tomorrow. I really feel bad about that, even though everyone said it was ok. I should be doing my laundry myself, not letting other people do things for me. It's probably all gunky and wrinkled now.

And the BAB skirt and shorts were too big for Little Jess. The peasant blouse was big, too, but they're supposed to be big. I'll just take the skirt and shorts in.

No comments: