Saturday, May 01, 2010

Flowers and Leaves on May Day

I did manage to get up on time today, which was a good thing. I worked early, 10:30 (the last time I will be for a while - I work late all next week). I got up with enough time to get my rent together and leave it at my landlady's door. That's the third month I a row I managed to get it to her right on time. I hope I can keep doing that.

I left a bit early to check out some yard sales. I did get a couple of records from one in front of the condos on Reading Street, near Uncle Ken and Dad's house. I bought a Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy LP, the original cast albums for Guys and Dolls and Fiddler on the Roof, and one of the Perry Como Christmas LPs.

Work was busier than yesterday, but still far from crazy. We had a lot more help, too. Most of the orders were for parties and barbecues taking advantage of the hot weather, or proms or communions. There's apparently a lot of both going on this weekend. I saw one little girl with her hair already done up in curls and the prettiest veil. She'll look lovely in the white dress!

Despite the lower-80s heat and humidity, I really did want to finish the yard work today. I changed into shorts and a t-shirt when I got home, put my socks and sneakers back on, and went back outside. I swept the porch, then raked the side of the house leading to my apartment. It took me longer to sweep the fuzzies mess on the porch than to rake the remaining leaves on the side path.

Watched Hot Shots! Part Deux while crocheting and eating leftover chicken and asparagus for dinner. Part Deux is the 1993 follow up to the original Hot Shots, this time spoofing the Rambo series, bloody 80s action films, the First Gulf War, and war movies in general. The Gulf War/Saddam Hussein references make this a bit more topical than the first one...and thus, some of the jokes haven't aged as well. Otherwise, if you enjoyed the first romp with Topper Harley, you'll probably like the second one just as much.

No comments: