Friday, April 30, 2010

April Showers Brings May Heat

I slept longer than I'd planned for the second day this week, which once again threw me off. I did have enough time to bake chocolate chip muffins and watch Young Sherlock Holmes. This will probably be the last time I'm able to bake until this upcoming heat waves subsides. We're supposed to be in the upper 80s by the beginning of the week!

Young Sherlock Holmes is an odd hybrid of The Goonies and the Indiana Jones series with some pre-Harry Potter boarding-school fantasy vibes. It's a "what if?" tale - what if Sherlock Holmes and John Watson had met as teenage boys at a boarding school and got into a wild adventure involving Egyptian cults, hallucinatory drugs, and an odd flying contraption?


Justin at Mutant Reviewers From Hell
compared this to the Harry Potter films and books, and he was right...for the first 20 minutes. Once we get away from the boarding school setting, the Egyptian back story, sword fights, and vaguely steampunk-ish feeling make it seem more like last year's version of Sherlock Holmes with kid characters or The Goonies in Victorian England. This is another 80s cult flick that I fondly remember turning up on cable often in the mid and late 80s. My mother used to love it. Fun, but really nothing you haven't seen elsewhere.

Work was almost exactly the same as yesterday - busier than earlier in the week, but still not incredibly busy. Business didn't pick up until I was ready to leave. Good thing, too. Once again, someone called out and we were short-handed. I just made it to the line in time with my apples, grapefruit, bananas, escarole, Earl Gray green tea, yogurt, chocolate chips, brown sugar, and salsa. The Acme was having a big sale on Edy's Fruit Bars and Ice Cream, too, $2 for 5 with a coupon if you bought two. No problem. I grabbed the Edy's Orange and Cream and Lemonade Fruit Bars, my favorites. (Their strawberry and lime bars are also really good, and I almost bought the new Acai Blueberry.)

It was such a nice day, I decided to go for a walk, run some errands, and have a quick dinner out. I put everything away, changed, and hit the White Horse Pike. It was gorgeous today, warm, sunny, and in the 80s. It was still windy when I went to work at 1PM, but that had died down by quarter after 6. I hit the bank first to deposit my paycheck in the ATM machine, then headed two blocks down the Pike to Taco Bell for dinner.

That may have been a mistake. First of all, they were pretty busy. Second, they weren't very good. I ordered a Rancho Chicken Burrito off their Drive In Diet menu and a Limeade Cooler. The Rancho Chicken Burrito looked nothing like the one in the picture. I think it may actually have been a soft chicken taco (it was in the Soft Taco paper), but I was too hungry by that point to care. It wasn't nearly as big as the one in the picture, either...or very good. All I tasted was spices, not chicken or anything else. They forgot to give me the Limeade Cooler and I had to ask twice for it. The Cooler turned out to be tasty, just sweet enough with lots of lime flavor, but it wasn't worth the lousy burrito. I won't be going back there. That's a good reminder of why I rarely eat fast food.

Headed a few blocks more to CVS next to pick up a few items I needed. I bought dried cranberries and apricots on sale for 2 for $3. I also grabbed shampoo (I'm almost out) and mouth wash (CVS' small size is on sale for 99 cents).

No comments: