Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mothers and Daughters

It was just as well that I spent most of the morning sleeping in. I awoke around 10 to a gloomy, misty, cold day. I got out of bed just in time for Brunch With the Beatles on WOGL. ("Beatles Songs That Were Singles In Other Countries, But Not the US" was the theme today.) I made chocolate chip-peanut butter pancakes and called Mom.

Mom and I ended up chatting for almost two hours! We mostly discussed doll clothes. Mom loves to make them...and I could use some for my girls! I don't have Samantha's pink birthday pinafore dress or Molly's striped jammies. Little Jess and Molly have no summer clothes besides the shorts that came with the Girls Scouts uniform. Felicity has three outfits, none of them winter. I'd love to have her retired Writing Lesson Outfit! Molly's hula outfit is missing the skirt, and the leis are dirty and in bad shape. (Although I will add that Molly may have hated her mother making her wear that red sweater out for trick-or-treat, but I adore it. The color is great and it's one of the most versatile pieces of clothing AG ever made. It goes with almost anything and any time period from Kit onwards, including modern.)

I sent Mom the patterns from the AGPlaythings site last night. Good ol' smart Mom. She downloaded them and saved them to CD. I may do the same. I may also at least save Addy's and Kirsten's as well. There's some patterns in their collections I like, too, including Kirsten's apron and Addy's wonderful Christmas dress.

I realized talking to Mom today that Felicity is the only one of my girls who owns a pinafore or an apron. Given my baking/cooking hobby, that will not do! I'd like to make Jess and the Cabbies simple aprons, Sam and Molly pinafores, and Felicity a plain pinner that isn't intended as an accessory for an outfit. Mom also offered to make a mob cap for Felicity (and she could make it to match either of her meet dresses - I have both), a felt hat for Jess, and Molly's "meet" handbag. I could even string pretty coral beads for Felicity's original "meet" necklace (I like that much better than the boring purple necklace she comes with now) and find a little inexpensive heart locket for Molly at a yard sale or Target.

It was still misting and chilly when I went to work. Work was long-line busy when I got in, steady and dying fast when I left. Everyone was in a surprisingly good mood despite the weather. There were no major problems, and I was in and out quickly.

I bought a roast beef hoagie for dinner, but I was so full from my pancake breakfast, I never finished it. I ate my hoagie while listening to The Dress Circle. "The Shows of Maltby and Shire" was the theme tonight. They're really better known for their work on movies and TV shows (including the Oscar-winning theme song for Norma Rae, "And So It Goes"), but some of their Broadway work is lovely, too. We heard from the short-lived Baby, the revue Starting Here, Starting Now, and another short-lived but interesting show, a musical version of the film Big.

And I'm glad I don't work late until tomorrow. It started raining hard about an hour after I got home from work, and it's been on-and-off heavily ever since, including a dilly of a thunderstorm.

No comments: