Thursday, April 01, 2010

No Foolin'

The gorgeous weather we've been hearing about over the past few days is no April Fool's joke. I awoke to at least 60 degrees at 8AM and sunshine, without the wind that was such a pain yesterday. It probably got into the mid-70s.

Spent an hour online browsing through Lands' End and LL Bean for work pants. I'm tired of buying pants that don't fit right, or have silly so-called "fashionable" wide legs that make it difficult to ride bikes or even walk properly. I want pants that sit at the waist, where pants are supposed to sit, and that will allow me to work without tripping. I think I'm going to buy these from Lands' End, the Women's Regular Knit Sports Pants. They're the "traditional" (meaning, where they belong) fit, and they'll be comfortable at work.

Work wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be when I arrived at 11. I figured we'd have long lines all day, but it was really more like on and off. There were a couple of really big orders and some fairly annoying people, but that may have had to do with this being the first day of the month. This included one older woman who had expected to pay with her Food Stamps card and discovered that she hadn't gotten her card refilled yet. Not everyone gets their Food Stamp money on the first day of the month. Good thing she didn't have a big order.

My relief was one of the young ladies who is always on time, and is early more often than not. This allowed me to do some early grocery shopping. I normally shop on Fridays, but that's only because I get paid that day and it's the first day of our sales. However, I got my vacation money two weeks ago, the Friday before my vacation...which means I don't get a paycheck this week. That's fine. I have plenty of money in the bank, even after leaving my rent with Miss Ellie this morning.

Besides, we're probably going to get slammed tomorrow. Many people have off early on Good Friday or are off all together, including most kids, and will be buying their Easter goodies. That's not counting this being the beginning of the month, or people who shop on the weekends because they work the rest of the week.

I mostly bought fruit and vegetables. Bought more ground chicken on sale, since those meatballs came out so nicely. Was out of dried cranberries, brown sugar, and granola bars. Found an Easter card for Uncle Ken and Dolores. Stocked up on yogurt. I bought flaked coconut, a graham cracker pie crust, and the Acme's generic Cool Whip for the Orange-Coconut Mousse Pie I plan on bringing to Karen and Jim's on Sunday. (I was debating making an Orange-Coconut Cake, but it looks like it's going to be too hot for baking by Saturday evening.)

It was so nice when I finally headed home, the sweater I wore this morning rode in my bike basket with the bag of groceries. Felt nice to ride home in my shirt sleeves in early April!

No comments: