Friday, April 02, 2010

Springtime Balance

I did get up in time for yoga class this morning. I thought it would help me handle the crowds this weekend better. It was a pain in the rear to get to, though. The chain came off my bike AGAIN half-way there, for the third time in less than a month. I walked the rest of the way, glad that it was sunny, breezy, and already in the 60s at quarter after 9 in the morning.

Almost being late to class was not a good thing. The class was super-full today, 19 people counting the teacher Micki. I barely got a spot! I guess everyone was celebrating being off for Good Friday. Unfortunately, I just could not concentrate after the bike incident and couldn't lift my fat body or get into half-moon poses. I really need to start working on my weak shoulders. They don't get the constant work-out that my legs do!

A few people helped me get the chain on the bike after class, including one guy who worked on the same block. It stayed on long enough for me to get home. I took the suggestion of one of the women in the class and oiled the chain after I arrived. It's worked so far, which is to say, the chain hasn't fallen off yet. I really need to try tightening it next week or seeing if I can ask my neighbor to do it.

I treated myself to coconut-lemon whole wheat pancakes for an early lunch. I normally have them for Sunday breakfast, but I'm going to have enough junk on Sunday. I'll have something simple on Sunday, like eggs.

Headed to work after lunch. Work wasn't as bad as I assumed it would be. I figured that, between people being off for Good Friday and this being the beginning of the month, it would be mobbed all day. Actually, it was only long-lines busy during the usual 4-6 rush hour. Some of the managers tried to ask me to stay until 8, but I wanted to get dinner and told them 7. It had calmed down so much by 6:30, I didn't even need to stay that long. My relief was (just) on time.

Except for one day, next week's schedule is an improvement over last week's. I have Easter Day off and Tuesday off again, and I work early enough every day that I'll be able to get a lot more done than I did this week. (Good thing - I plan on continuing spring cleaning.) The exception is Thursday, when I work my first 8 hour shift in months, 11AM-7:30PM. I don't know what's going on there, especially since most kids are off of school this week. It probably has to do with there being a LOT of people on vacation this week, including a quarter of the administrative staff.

No comments: