Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Great Outdoors

Spent a pleasant morning raking the leaves leftover from the fall and winter storms. I enjoy yard work. I don't mind helping Miss Ellie at all, and not just because she pays me. It's nice to be able to help out. After all, I live here, too. We both want the yard to look as nice as it can. It's good exercise. It gets all of the leaves and sticks out of both our ways. And it just feels great to be able to do something so PHYSICAL, something that isn't standing around.

It never takes me as long to rake the yard in the spring as it does in the fall. I was done in an hour and a half. Admittedly, I didn't bother with the patch of land by Miss Ellie's car, but the grass is too high for a rake to penetrate over there.

(And I'm really glad I got it done today, instead of waiting, despite some really crazy wind. It was in the lower 50s today, but it's supposed to be in the 80s by the end of the week. I'll do my side of the house on Saturday, but that rarely takes more than a half-hour even in the fall.)

After I got my $15 from Miss Ellie, I spent an hour having lunch and reading online before heading to work. Work was...quiet. It was dead for most of the night, and never more than mildly steady. I was a bit surprised, but we are in the middle of the week and the end of the month. Things should pick up this weekend as we hit the beginning of the month, the weather improves, and we get closer to our next holidays, Mother's Day and Memorial Day.

No comments: