Saturday, April 03, 2010

There's That Busy Girl!

It was surprisingly cloudy morning when I got up, though not the kind of clouds that end in rain. It was sort of on-and-off cloudy all day. Other than that, it was lovely again, 70s and breezy.

I spent the early morning working on the pudding pie I'm going to bring to Karen and Jim's tomorrow. I pulled out the French Vanilla Okecker Mousse mix, since that worked so well for the Super Bowl. I added fresh-squeezed orange juice to the thickened mousse, then mixed in coconut and poured it in the graham cracker crust. Once that had set, I piled Cool Whip over the mousse and sprinkled leftover coconut on that. I had a little taste of the orange-coconut mousse filling, and it was yummy. I can't wait to try the whole thing tomorrow!

It was such a nice day, I left for work a little early. I wanted to check out the first yard sales of the year. There were two moving sales. The big one was at West Oakland, just off Kendall Boulevard. It was the house with all the collectible dolls and toys and things. I've never really found anything I liked that I could carry home from there after the one 60s mohair bear I bought a few years ago, and today was no exception. The other yard sale also proved uninteresting.

Work was...on-and-off busy, never overwhelming. We had all but two registers opened, but there were never really any lines. I was surprised, and so were a lot of customers. It was mostly people doing their usual weekly shopping or picking up a few random things they need for tomorrow.

Maybe it was because we're out of hams. Or at least, we're out of the hams needed for the $8.00 off coupon. They still had the free hams and the turkey breasts, but those aren't big enough to feed many family gatherings. Oh, well. Some people did buy their meat today, but at least there were no real problems. I had no problems getting out on time.

After work, I did a little random shopping on my own. I badly needed ant bait and spray. The ants in my bathroom and kitchen were really bad again. I haven't been able to find the Ortho stuff Linda recommended. I bought Big Shot Ultra Ant and Roach Spray and Acme ant baits. (And it's a good thing I did work later. They were out of the Acme ant bait earlier today, but they were stocked by 5.)

Though I wasn't as tired as I figured I would be, I still went out for dinner as I originally planned. I ate at Fat Jack's Barbecue behind the Acme after a brief stop at FYE to look for Easter specials. (They didn't have any.) It was only quarter after five at that point. They weren't really busy. I had the Fat (Pita) Pocket sandwich again. It wasn't toasted, but it did seem to hold better than before. I only needed to have a little of it as a salad with French dressing.

I sprayed for ants when I got home and set up the baits, then watched Daffy Duck's Easter Egg-Citement and The First Easter Rabbit. I've discussed the former here on previous April entries, but the latter is new to DVD this spring. It's basically a Rankin-Bass cross between Frosty the Snowman and The Velveteen Rabbit. Stuffy the Rabbit was once a little girl's favorite toy, but her mother threw him out when she got scarlet fever. A fairy turns him into a real rabbit and anoints him the First Easter Rabbit, a symbol of springtime and Easter for children everywhere. Along with three other con-artist bunnies - and Santa Claus! - he determines to return to his little girl and bring her an Easter filled with joy.

My sisters and I absolutely loved this as kids. It was on the end of a tape of random kids' movies and specials we got off cable in the late 80s. We knew it just as "Stuffy," after the First Easter Rabbit himself. In fact, I didn't know the real title until I dug around for it online. Alas, time hasn't been kind to it. It's still kind of cute, but it feels rushed, and it would have been nice if the hero and the villain could have actually met each other.

Here's a segment from The First Easter Rabbit on YouTube (for some reason, I can't find the rest of it). I also found two more classic Easter shorts on YouTube, the Silly Symphony Funny Little Bunnies from 1934 and the Looney Tunes favorite Easter Yeggs, from I think the mid-late 40s from Bugs and Elmer's designs.

The First Easter Rabbit: The Situation
Funny Little Bunnies
Easter Yeggs

For those of you who won't be online tomorrow, I hope everyone who celebrates it has a great Easter!

No comments: