Saturday, April 17, 2010

Winds of Change

Slept in, so I really didn't get much done before work this morning. Work was steady when I came in and when I left...but busy in between! We even had help. It was just busy. The sun was in and out all day, and it was blustery and chilly compared to what it has been, probably lower 60s. The wind made for a difficult ride to and from work.

Rose asked me to call her when I got home, so we could go shopping together and pick the comforter I wanted for my birthday. She responded right away and said "15 minutes." I changed, grabbed my purse and jacket, and waited for her.

For once, she was on time. Her best friend Colleen Reilly joined us as well. Colleen is a lawyer who lives in Harrisburg, but she's visiting Rose for the weekend. We headed for the same Bed Bath and Beyond in Cherry Hill where I bought my new saucepan back in late January.

It took me a long time to choose a comforter. Most of them were expensive, or too bright, or the print was too big, or they weren't a twin size, or they came with more than I needed. I finally broke down and said that frankly, I could use a new sheet set, too. The sheets, blankets, and comforters I have all came from different sources, and none match.

I chose a blue and tan set with striped print on the bottom and top and floral print in the middle. It's very pretty, and much thicker than my poor, worn green plaid blanket. Rose grabbed a pitcher for herself. We had to wait 10 minutes while they tracked down the price for that pitcher, but on the upside, Rose (who is pregnant and due in a month) got some advice from the nice lady behind the counter, and we got 20% off for having to wait so long.

Our next stop was the big Wegman's grocery store. Rose needed to do her shopping. It was really, really busy. We had a very hard time finding a parking spot, so hard that Rose had to wait. When we did finally get a spot, a guy got upset because he was waiting, too! Rose was right, though. She had been there first. He ranted at us, and we told him that we had the right of way, and he took off. What a jerk.

It was just as busy inside the store. Rose had forgotten her grocery list and kept remembering things and going back and forth as we made our way from one side of the massive building to the other. She says Wegman's isn't her usual store, either, and she doesn't know the layout that well. It took us a while to get out of there.

When I finally arrived at home, I immediately pulled out the new bedding. It's very pretty. It even came with decorative pillows. Since I now had some new sheets, I went through my old ones. I ended up getting rid of most of them. Both of the navy fitted sheets were worn in the middle, and the navy-and-white print fitted sheet was stretched beyond use. I may cut useful fabric from them to make other things, but for now, they're going to go. The green plaid comforter is just going to get tossed. I don't think I could even recycle it.

No comments: