Thursday, September 02, 2010

Dust and Balance

Despite all the reports about Hurricane Earl coming our way, it was sunny, hot, and slightly humid but not bad when I headed out for this week's yoga class. There were 14 people in class today, a pretty good size considering that many teachers and college students have started school this week. We worked on back bends and standing poses. My ankle's a little sore, but it generally didn't get a huge workout.

Afterwards, I talked to a friend about looking for groups to join. I was going to look at local gyms, but the ones I've been to cost as much as $100 or more for three months' worth of membership. That's ridiculous. She suggested dance classes, and I'd still like to do Weight Watchers.

Made a brief stop at the thrift shop to say "hi" to Erica, then headed to the Collingswood Library. Spent over an hour organizing the DVDs. For a library that's as neat as a pin with books and have some really gorgeous shelves for their movies, their DVDs are often a mess. And I'm wondering if labeling them by genre is a good idea. I keep finding dramas that could be labeled suspense or action, comedies that should be in with the musicals, and "classics" that aren't that classic. And I suspect half the "children and family" movies are only on that shelf because there's no room for them with the other DVDs.

Headed back to the apartment at quarter after 12 and spent the rest of the afternoon there. I had lunch. I crocheted. I vacuumed. I washed the windows, TV monitor, and laptop monitor. I dusted the woodwork around the windows. I watched three East Side Kids movies. Pride of the Bowery got a bit melodramatic, and Let's Get Tough! had some hard-to-watch World War II Japanese prejudice. Flying Wild, another war-set spy story set around an airplane munitions factory, was the best of these so-so stories.

After I finished vacuuming, I decided I'd try the pool...and actually make it there this time. I'm so glad I did. The water was cooler than this time last month, about 80, but not that cold. It felt so nice on such a hot day! I had the pool to myself, too. Uncle Ken and Dolores were on the porch, talking about the Phillies game they're going to see tomorrow night. Dad and Jodie were inside, watching Law & Order on TNT and keeping an eye on the weather reports.

I made cornmeal-battered flounder, sauteed zucchini (last of the year from the farm market), and Persian Cucumber Salad (also last of the year) for dinner. Had applesauce with honey for dessert.

My Internet has been a pain all day. It went down at least three times earlier, and it was down for an hour after I took my shower tonight. I don't know if Verizon's being a pain or if Hurricane Earl is interfering. We'll see how it works after Labor Day and the storm are gone.

My nose has been acting up, too. I've been sneezing all day long. I don't know if it's the dust, or the heat. I wish it would go away.

No comments: