Saturday, September 04, 2010

Why Couldn't We Ride?

I don't think there's ever been a nicer Saturday in early September. I awoke to clear blue skies, cool breezes, and 77-degree temperatures, with none of yesterday's humidity. As Casey Kasem counted down the top songs in the country in September 1970 in WOGL's Saturday morning American Top 40 re-run, I opened windows and doors and sliced up fruit to go with my Cheerios for breakfast.

(And I really enjoy hearing those American Top 40 re-runs. It's interesting to hear familiar songs in the context of the time they were released...and novelties that don't often appear on WOGL.)

It was a terrific day for a Farm Market run. Not surprisingly, the Farm Market was elbow-to-elbow today. Not only is it the beginning of the month, but people were buying produce for their Labor Day barbecues and get-togethers, not to mention apples and other firm fruit and veggies for kids to take with them on their first day back at school. Yams and grapes were gone, but I bought tons of things anyway - baby spinach, green beans, plums, little green apples, peaches, carrots, green peppers, tomatoes, red potatoes, and mushrooms.

It was really too nice to go home right away. I went for a bike ride around the area instead. I was mostly looking for yard sales. I only found one on Princeton Avenue in Audubon, but I did pick up some nice stuff. Grabbed a Build A Bear outfit that I may be able to use for my American Girl doll Molly and a Christmas jazz/easy listening CD. After I left, I rode around Audubon, looking for more yard sales. When I didn't find anything else, I just headed back to the apartment.

Spent the rest of the morning at my place. I made a Plum-Apple Cobbler for dessert tonight. I did this month's budget. (Spent about the same as last month, not counting the money to get to Cape May County and Clementon Park.) I finished Soapdish and ran another East Side Kids movie, Bowery Blitzerkeg. Oddly enough, despite the title, this isn't one of the war-oriented movies. Gangsters try to get Mugs to throw a big boxing tournament...but Mugs knows there's too much at stake, including his friendship with Danny and a local cop and his own pride.

Work was a pain. It's the beginning of the month, which means all the fun people come out of the woodwork. Some of the older ladies were especially annoying. I do wish they'd try helping, instead of giving us 600 directions on how to bag their order. Ladies, please, WE KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING! If you don't like it, bag yourselves.

Thankfully, by the time I left, it had slowed down to the point where I spent part of the last half-hour rounding up items that had been left in the wrong place in the aisles. My relief came back on time from his break.

(And that Plum-Apple Cobbler came out divine. Best cobbler I ever made. Tasted even better with a few spoonfuls of Lite Cool Whip.)

No comments: