Monday, September 27, 2010

Inside Jobs

I awoke to the sounds of rain on the roof and a ringing telephone. Yes, the ringing telephone was the Acme. Could I come in at 1? There was a call-out. For once, sure! No problem. That would give me enough time to get the laundry in. I was going to either bake or clean today as well, but I can do that tomorrow. Extra hours are extra hours.

The rain was welcome, too. It rained all last night, and it was raining again this morning. Thankfully, the rain had let up by the time I was heading for the laundromat. It must have kept a lot of people at home, though. The laundromat wasn't anywhere near as busy as it usually is on a Monday morning.

Good thing I didn't really have much laundry to do. I had just enough time to ride home, get everything put away, have leftover Pepper Steak for lunch, change into my uniform, and head for work. It rained while I was in the laundromat, but by the time I got out to the White Horse Pike, it was just humid, cloudy, and windy.

The weather cleared the Acme out, too. Though it did get busier during the usual 4-6 rush hour, we were generally dead for most of the day. I spent part of the last half-hour doing returns. There were no major problems, and I got in and out easily.

When I got home, I had leftover tomato, zucchini, and meatballs for dinner and watched The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters, the last Leo Gorcey-era Bowery Boys movie I hadn't run yet. It might be the strangest one they ever did. Slip and Sach go to a spooky old house to ask the owners if the local kids could use the lot for playing baseball. It turns out, however, that the owners would rather be using them to experiment on instead of negotiate with!

This was one of the strangest movies of the very odd mid-50s Bowery Boys entries. A lot of it is generic monster-haunted house fodder...but then, there's the man-eating tree. And it's nice to see them picking on Slip and Sach for once, instead of just Sach.

No comments: