Sunday, September 12, 2010

Raining In the Football Season

I felt so nice under my comforter this morning, I didn't feel like getting out of bed. I just lay there and listened to the...rain? Yes, that was rain on my roof. It was finally raining, for the first time in weeks. We've desperately needed the rain. It's been so dry.

When I had to admit to myself that I wasn't going back to sleep, I sat up and read Wild Ride for a while, then wrote in my journal. It felt so nice to just lean back and relax and write and enjoy a morning, for once.

After I finally got out of bed and got dressed, I put on the Brunch With the Beatles radio show. "Songs from the Original 13 British Albums" was the theme today. Pretty much what it says on the label - we get the hit songs from each of the Beatles albums that were released in England during their heyday. (Some of the American albums had very different line-ups and weren't included.)

I made 9-Grain French Toast for breakfast, than called Mom for our weekly chat. She'd just gotten off the Internet and was feeling a bit stiff. She was looking up knitting patterns. She's very nervous about the knitting class she's going to teach for Michael's soon. She's afraid she won't know enough about knitting to teach them. She was looking up information on stitches she's not as good with.

She also gave me advice on the hat I'm working on for Molly. Sigh. It looks like I'm going to have to restart the crown. I'm working in the round, and I got it all twisted. It's going to be a pain in the rear, but I can't think of another option. I'm still trying to learn. I should find some kind of a class or club.

I went online myself after I got off with Mom. Lauren and I just finished the Monkees role play last week. I'm about half-way through editing it. Look for it sometime next week!

When I'd had enough of sitting down, I decided to make muffins. I thought the Apple-Cinnamon Muffins from one of my British baking books sounded appropriately fall-ish. I ran the Hairspray movie soundtrack while I put them together and after they went in the oven. The muffins came out just ten minutes before I left for work!

It's surely a sign of fall when the Acme is busy again on weekends. In addition to everyone finally settling into the old school-work routine, today is the first full day of NFL football. I was disappointed I couldn't see the Eagles game, but it didn't turn out to matter. They lost to Green Bay 27-20 and apparently didn't play very well anyhow.

The game must have been interesting enough. There were no major problems going in or leaving. It was just cloudy when I rode to work and sprinkling when I went home.

Went straight online when I got home. Had a very quick yogurt-and-muffins dinner and listened to the second half of The Dress Circle. "An All-Star 'Boys From Syracuse'" was the theme tonight. For those of you who aren't big fans of musicals, this was a 1938 Broadway show based after play by Shakespeare of the same title. It's been revived on-and-off Broadway several times since then. The hosts had the highest praise for the 1997 Encores! cast, but my favorite was an actual recording from 1938. Singers Frances Langford and Rudy Valee breezed through one of the best songs from the score, "This Can't Be Love."

No comments: