Friday, April 22, 2011

It's Earth Day, Charlie Brown

I wish I could have spent more time today on the earth, but alas, I had all-day work. It was really busy too. We had long lines the entire day, though no other real problems. Thank goodness for once there were three people coming in when I was leaving and they were all on time. I had my own groceries to shop for.

The majority of what I needed was fruit and vegetables. Asparagus and strawberries are on sale. Needed to restock grapefruit, oranges, bananas, peanut butter, and yogurt. The Acme gourmet brand fresh mozzarella (Culinary Circle) was on sale and I had a coupon, so I grabbed some of that, too. Got things to make a pudding pie for Jodie and Dad for an Easter present and a bag for my 1-year-old nephew Khai's birthday present.

Khai's mother, my sister Rose, called when I got home. She feels exactly the same way I do about everything that's going on at Dad's. We both feel sorry for Uncle Ken's cancer, but they're all being ridiculous over there. You don't cancel holiday festivities because you suddenly decide you don't like someone's girlfriend. We're going to chat with Dad and Jodie for a little while Easter morning. If Rose (and Khai) are up to it, we'll hang out together in the afternoon. If not, as I mentioned, I don't mind being alone. After this weekend, I could probably use it.

Not to mention I have a long schedule next week. Though I have three days off (Easter Sunday, Monday for the party at Mom's, and Wednesday), I work 7 hours on Thursday and 8 1/2 hours next Friday and Saturday! I'll try to get the laundry in on Monday before I go down to Mom's. I have to get to the Haddon Township Library (DVDs are due), and the Oaklyn Library is easy to get to. I'll just take a week off from yoga and the Collingswood Library to make things a little less crazy.

I ran a couple of cartoons related to environmentalism and protecting our natural resources throughout the day. In It's Arbor Day, Charlie Brown, Sally decides to celebrate the tree-related spring holiday by turning Chuck's baseball field into a garden. Her brother isn't thrilled at first...until he realizes that the plants give his team an unexpected advantage.

Tiny Toon Adventures did several cartoons related to keeping the Earth clean and helping animals. One had Buster and Babs rescuing a pair of endangered whales from beauty-crazed Gotcha Grabmore, who wants to use their blubber in her "all natural" line of cosmetics. Another spoofed The Toxic Avenger as Plucky outwitted Montana Max to get his swamp water back. Monty wants it for his swimming pool. (I don't care if it's free - was Monty crazy? Swimming in swamp water? Eeww. You can tell he's never lived next to a swamp.)

"Pollution Solution" had three shorts with environmental themes. Plucky explains recycling to a clueless Elmyra. Buster and Babs stop an obnoxious executive from destroying rain forests. GoGo the Dodo finds a clever - and wacky! - way to get Monty to clear his factory's backwash out of Wackyland.

Pollution is a world-wide problem, as we were reminded in the first season of Sailor Moon. The Soldiers' favorite local park is going to be torn down to build and office building...and the job of the kindly old gardener who is a friend of Amy's will go with it. While Amy tries to figure out a solution to her friend's difficulties, Serena and Raye pursue Darien...with varied success. The Soldiers come into play when the evil Nephlite harnesses the man's anger to increase the power of the Negaverse...and it makes the park's citizens go wild in the process!

No comments: