Friday, April 29, 2011

A Long, Long Day

Ugh. Today was just as bad as I feared. It was dead and boring for most of the morning. Good thing it was, too. When it did finally get busy around 2:30, we didn't have nearly enough help, and the lines got very long. I really wish they wouldn't let everyone go on vacation at the same time.

People were a pain. It's the beginning of the month, which always brings a lot of fun people out of the woodwork. I got stuck with a lot of obnoxious older women who demanded I bag everything in five or six bags, please, we can't carry them...and then rearrange everything and hold up a long line.

And then, there was the announcement we got yesterday. I didn't want to say anything before the real reporters had a chance to spread the word, but Acme is laying off over 900 part-time workers across the board. We were told yesterday. They say it's anyone who's worked less than two years, but that doesn't make me feel any better. I didn't know what to tell customers, either.

And I'm just plain not used to working at 9AM or for 8 1/2 hours. I was almost literally falling asleep on my feet by the time I finished at 5:30. I'm so glad it had started dying again by then and I was able to leave with no problems.

I went to Sonic for dinner. It was gorgeous when I headed out this morning, sunny, breezy, and nothing resembling as hot as earlier in the week. By 5:30, the breeze had turned into wind, and the eternal clouds had returned. I probably should have eaten at Arby's or Tu Se Bella's because of the wind, but I just couldn't stand being inside anymore. I ordered my chicken wrap, Cherry Limeade, and tater tots and ignored the three pre-teen boys ordering milkshakes and being what they probably thought was funny - making dumb noises and asking about prices when they were printed on a colorful menu right in front of their faces. (And everyone wonders why I wasn't interested in dating until I was in college?)

Went back to work to get groceries. Mostly needed to restock fruits and vegetables. Broccoli was on sale. Spinach wasn't, but I needed it. Needed a lot of paper goods. My paper towel roll is almost empty, and I'm just about out of toilet paper, too.

Thank goodness my schedule for next week is more normal. I work 10 to 3 or 4 every day but Sunday and Saturday. I work at 2 on Saturday...which will allow me to attend the first Farm Market of the year.

No comments: