Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cozy Baking on a Rainy Day

Started out the day with a run to the laundromat. (I worked too early and got off too late to get there yesterday.) I made it there earlier than usual, around quarter of 10. I picked the right time. Other than an older man and a middle-aged woman, the place was totally deserted. I had my choice of washers and driers for once. Good thing, too. I had a ton of it, thanks to changing my sheets last week.

The weather did not look promising. The sky was dark when I got up this morning, and it was getting darker every minute I was in the laundromat. The clouds finally burst 20 minutes before the dryer ended, of course. I didn't feel like waiting for the shower to end, so I just rode home.

That may have been a mistake. Just five minutes in that shower left me dripping and my clothes wet. I had to hang half my clothes up to dry again, including my brown cotton capris.

Ran Date Night while putting my remaining clothes away and having leftovers for lunch. This is pretty much Adventures In Babysitting for adults. A married couple (Steve Carrell and Tina Fey) whose marriage is getting stagnant go out to an expensive restaurant in Manhattan for dinner. The husband gets a table after being brushed off by claiming he and his wife are a couple who don't claim their reservation. Turns out that couple stole a very important flash drive that could implicate a gangster and a district attorney in several mob activities. The duo are chased all over Manhattan by corrupt police officials...but all they want is to figure out what's going on and get home to their kids.

Not the greatest comedy in the world, but you could do worse with this cast. Tina Fey and Steve Carrell don't have the best chemistry, but they both play their usual uptight neurotics to the hilt and have fun with some of the wilder material. Extra points for Mark Wahlburg as the sexy owner of a local security business who helps the couple out...and won't put his shirt on. Ever.

The movie ended around 1:30...and thankfully, the rain also halted temporarily then. This gave me a chance to ride over to the Haddon Township Library without getting totally soaked again. I'm glad I went through the park. I was joined by several joggers and a flock of Canadian geese, and I can't blame any of them. The weather may not have been good for humans lately, but it's done wonders for the flora. The trees are in bloom, rippling with the most amazing shades of white, pink, lavender, soft orange, and pale green. Others have the beginnings of bright green leaves. The tiniest, daintiest little yellow flowers dotted the lush grass.

I was at the library for a while. There were a lot of DVDs to return, and even more children's books to shelve! I didn't take out anything this week, though. I still have books to read at home (including Wicked), and I'll probably end up buying DVDs for my birthday.

I made short stops at Super Fresh and Rite Aid (the latter for contact solution), then rode home. I spent the rest of the afternoon watching Three Stooges shorts and baking. I made Lemon Chiffon Cupcakes for my birthday. The rye bread is almost gone; replaced it with a simple loaf of French Bread.

After this morning's bout with the weather, I opted to stay in. This time, I made the right choice. It started raining again around 5, and it's been raining off and on for the rest of the night.

No comments: