Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Return of the Sunshine

The storm blew over sometime around 1:30AM. When I awoke around 9, the skies were blue, the sun was out...but the wind remained. I read in bed and wrote in my journal for a while, then got dressed and put on the radio.

Listened to Brunch With the Beatles while making Oatmeal-Dried Cranberry Pancakes for breakfast. Today's theme was "Songs Released By Apple Records," the recording company the Beatles set up in the late 60s to handle their music and other artists'. Among the Beatles group and solo hits released by Apple were "Hey Jude," "Revolution," "Just Another Day," "My Sweet Lord," and a favorite Ringo solo number of mine, "Oh My My."

Called Mom after finishing breakfast, around 11. We couldn't talk for very long - I had work and she had cleaning to do - but we did discuss several things. The most important being that I'd like to start writing again...but I'm nervous. I start writing and end up staring at a blank page. I get ideas and either don't write them or never finish them before I go onto the next ideas. Mom's right. I still need to work on confidence and self-discipline, neither of which I've ever been good with.

Headed for work after getting off with Mom. Work was on-and-off busy for most of the day. There were a few annoying customers. My last customer was this older woman with a Marge Simpson bee hive who is always extremely fussy about her bagging. No matter how well I do it, she re-arranges it anyway, holding up the line and making me wish I could tell her off. If she wants to re-arrange things, she should move elsewhere. And if she doesn't want my help in the first place, she should say so.

It couldn't have been nicer when I finally got out (having picked up tissues and dryer sheets after work concluded). It was still windy, but it was also warmer than this morning, probably in the low to mid 60s.

When I got home, I changed out of my Acme uniform and went for a ramble around Veteran's Park. I wasn't the only one. There were a lot of people in the park today. I saw a kid in the big tree and fisherman down on the very edge. A couple with a cute bull dog had a picnic by the cliffs. I climbed around on the hillside near my apartment for a while, but I couldn't do too much in sandals.

I listened to B101 on the radio while making granola bars and eating leftover chili for dinner. After I finished, I took a shower, finishing just in time for The Dress Circle. "Live In London" was the theme here tonight, i.e, concerts of showtunes and full shows. We heard a medaly from a Barbara Cook concert, one of Michael Ball's many performances of "Love Changes Everything," and numbers from concerts for Les Miserables and Nymph Errant.

No comments: