Sunday, August 07, 2011

I Concentrate On Work

I skipped the radio shows today to work on transferring movies to DVD. Did a couple of films from the 30s this morning, starting with Born to Dance. Eleanor Powell is a young lady hoping to become a Broadway dancer who falls for a sailor on leave (James Stewart...yes, in a musical). When a stage star (Virginia Bruce) makes a play for Stewart, Powell's not crazy about the idea. How can Stewart explain it's just publicity...and will Powell get her name in lights when Bruce backs out of the show?

You can probably guess where this is going, especially if you're a fan of backstage musicals. For all the froth, Cole Porter provided a nice score; Stewart gets to introduce the standard "Easy to Love." Other stars belting Porter tunes include Buddy Ebsen as a fellow sailor, Frances Langford as his girl, and Una Merkel as Powell's best friend.

The most famous number is the finale with Powell tapping against a backdrop of a huge ship. I think two smaller numbers - "Hey, Babe, Hey" with the three main couples happily dancing together and Stewart and Powell's "Easy to Love" - are far more charming.

The Acme called while I was finishing my zucchini and carrot pancakes. I was washing dishes and didn't get to them until I was almost time to go. Could I stay until 6:30? Yeah. I wasn't crazy about it, but I'd do it. It was only an hour.

The Acme had its reasons. It was busy when I came in, and stayed busy until nearly 6. There was a call-out, and at least ten people who work in the front of the store went on vacation for part of or all week.

When I finally got home, I enjoyed the crock-pot Beef and Red Potato Stew I started this morning for dinner and ran the next movie I wanted to put on DVD, The Broadway Melody of 1940. Another Powell vehicle, this one switches things up a bit by making Powell the stage star looking for her new leading man. The producer accidentally hires George Murphy...but he really wanted his partner Fred Astaire.

Cole Porter once again provided the songs. This time, the hits included "I've Got My Eye On You," "I Concentrate On You," and one borrowed from a minor Porter stage show, "Begin the Beguine." Astaire and Murphy are certainly more at ease with the fluffy plot than Stewart was. Astaire has a nice moment when he dances "Eye On You" with Powell's compact. The best-known number is Powell and Astaire's incredible "Beguine." I also love their "Jukebox Dance."

The only non-musical in this set is also the only movie I'm dubbing that is currently not on DVD in any form, even the Warner Archives. Life Begins for Andy Hardy sends everyone's favorite late 30s-early 40s teen (Mickey Rooney) to work outside of his small town for the first time. Alas, Andy learns some hard lessons when he's taken in by a manipulating young woman, briefly becomes penniless, and loses a good friend. Good thing he has his pal Betsy Booth's (Judy Garland) shoulder to cry on.

I'm finishing the night with the start of another disc. Doris Day is the star of this set. On Moonlight Bay is a charming nostalgic musical set in a small town in the pre-World-War-I midwest. Day is a tomboy growing to womanhood without losing her tough spirit; Gordon MacRae is the idealistic college student she pursues. Charming and fun if you're a fan of historic musicals like this or Meet Me In St. Louis. Leon Ames, who was also the father in St. Louis, is Day's dad; Rosemary DeCamp is her mother.

No comments: