Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On

Started another gorgeous morning with a ride to the Haddon Township Library. It was a lovely day for a bike ride. Newton River Park was so busy, I rode on the street part of the way in order to avoid joggers, parents with strollers, couples walking together, and flocks of Canadian geese. It's so pretty out now, no wonder everyone's out and about. The grass is thick. The trees are much perkier than they were just a month ago. The wildflowers stand tall and brilliant. I'm so glad we've had this rain. It's been such a help, and we so needed it.

The Library was busy when I came in, too. The DVD cart and children's books carts were both loaded. I had plenty to do. Didn't see any DVDs I liked today, but I did take out two books on writing and one with small business ideas, along with a Calvin and Hobbes comic book.

Went straight home this time. I wanted to get to the Cherry Hill Mall and hit the end-of-the-summer-season sales. I had a really quick lunch of Peanut Butter and Peach Butter on a home-made English muffin and a peach, then hurried out the door to catch the 1:47 to Cherry Hill.

I just barely made it. Good thing it was a few minutes late! I hurried as fast as I could to the bus stop a block down from the entrance to the Wal-Mart section of the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center. My heart was thumping when I finally made it to the bus stop sign.

Not long after I got on the bus, I heard someone mention to the driver that there had been an earthquake. I had no idea. I hadn't felt anything rushing to the bus stop but my feet and my pulsing heart. Nothing seemed any different...except for the people standing on the sidewalks in Westmont, looking a little dazed. Another man mentioned it when the bus stopped at the Cherry Hill Train Station behind the Shop Rite.

The Cherry Hill Mall looked just fine when the bus finally arrived. I didn't do quite as well as I did on my last mall trip, but I did find some things I needed. I picked up a pair of khaki capris for work, a bright gold Henley shirt, and a light green nightshirt with a book print that says "Never judge a book by its movie" at JCPenney. Bought Dick Tracy, The Last Starfighter, and The Shadow new on sale from FYE. Got a pair of cheap sneakers to run errands in at Payless Shoes.

My best find was a last-minute discovery at Lane Bryant. I've been looking for a nice, simple, inexpensive sundress to replace the red and blue dotted print that didn't fit for over a year now. Everything I've seen has either been too fancy, too expensive, or both. I found a sleeveless teal dress with three sweet ruffles on the hem of the skirt on a major clearance. Originally marked at 55 dollars, it rang up 18. Score! It's so sweet and lovely.

I also noticed that the 450 bus to the Cherry Hill Mall will let you off at the corner of Cuthbert Road and the White Horse Pike if requested. Good. That's a shorter trip than the hike to Audubon. It'll make things a lot easier on me when I want to go to Cherry Hill.

When I finally got home, I made pasta and chicken meatballs for dinner and continued my video to DVD dubbing. I'm working my way through my operettas that aren't on DVD now. Did the Arabian adventure The Desert Song during dinner and the MacDonald/Eddy Canadian romance Rose Marie after a much-needed shower.

Incidentally, the only damage that earthquake did here was knocking the Walt Disney Treasures DVD sets off the shelf. I've been meaning to move them, anyway. They're really too heavy for the flimsy Wal-Mart DVD rack I had them on. I swapped them and the animated movie DVDs to the heavier ash-colored DVD rack and moved the dramas and comedies to the Wal-Mart one.

No comments: