Monday, August 15, 2011

Woman In the Rain

I'm glad I was able to get to the laundry when I did, around quarter after 10. It was crowded as heck with couples, mothers, elderly people, and one random skinny college student. I just managed to get a washing machine. Thankfully, by the time my wash was ready for the drier, almost everyone had cleared out, and there were plenty open.

It was cloudy and on-and-off showering when I was at the laundry. The sun came out after I got home, but clouds remained on the horizon. I put the laundry away, listened to CDs, and dubbed Brain Donors. A 90s take on the Marx Brothers movies, Brain Donors is hilarious if you can find it (to my knowledge, it's out of print on DVD, but it does turn up now and then on cable).

After the movie ended, I switched to Danger Mouse and had a blackberry omelet and cucumber and tomato salad for lunch. The rain was long gone when I headed out to work, but I still saw those stubborn clouds.

Work was steady through the usual rush hour. It was on-and-off busy afterwards. This is the last week for our big Giveaway Game promotion. Other than one customer at the very end who got confused with his WIC Check orders, there were no major problems.

When I left the Acme, the clouds that had been peeking through the haze all day were suddenly overhead...and VERY threatening. I literally raced home, trying to outrun the oncoming storm. I did a darn good job of it. It was just starting to shower when I got in, and I saw lightening on Kendall Boulevard. Most of the storm waited until I was already at home. There was some noisy thunder earlier, but all I hear now is rain.

I changed discs and put on Woman of the Year when I got home. Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy's first movie together involves a war correspondent (Hepburn) and a sportswriter (Tracy) who start out in a column war when she questions the need for his beloved baseball during wartime...and end up getting married. Hepburn, however, is more devoted to her job and ideals than to Tracy and their relationship. Can these two find a way to make their marriage work?

Hepburn and Tracy began their three decade-long-affair doing this movie. Despite some dated discussions of what women should be allowed to do, it's always been a favorite of mine. The two had chemistry right from the get-go.

No comments: