Wednesday, August 03, 2011

It's a Wonderful World

I'm so happy I got a lot done today. First of all, Dad did come over this time to help get the old TV downstairs. We both finally decided that it wasn't worth the drive to Best Buy for a $10 gift card when salvagers and recycling trucks drive around all the time, picking up old furniture and electronics.

Taking the TV out went so well, after Dad left, I brought my old upright computer, tube monitor, and the printer that was replaced with a wireless version last Christmas to the curb as well. I also had a package waiting for me on the porch. It was the copy of the original 1974 LP version of Mickey's Christmas Carol I won on eBay. I've seen this mentioned in a few places and have always wanted to hear it.

My next stop was the Oaklyn Library. Since Storybook Hour was in full swing when I arrived, I concentrated on the DVDs and the young adult series. I never did get to the kids' books.

I was delighted to see that someone did, indeed, pick up the electronics as I walked down the street. Every last bit of it was gone. I noticed my old computer and TV in the back of a truck that picks up local salvage. Good. Maybe they can make it into something that runs faster or find someone who can use it.

It was sunny when Dad and I took the TV out, humid but cooler than it has been. Dad said it probably wouldn't rain today. Mother Nature said differently. The clouds were starting to build up, and they continued to build as I organized things in the back room and worked on finishing last night's DVD and starting the next one.

The 1957 musical Silk Stockings was the last movie to go on the disc I started yesterday. This movie was the last for director Rouben Mamoulien, who made two favorites of mine, Summer Holiday and Love Me Tonight, and one of the last musicals for Fred Astaire. In this remake of the 1939 comedy Ninotchka, Astaire is a Hollywood producer who convinces a Russian classical composer to stay in Paris and write the score for his newest movie. But it's the late 50s, and Russia is still under Communist rule, which frowns on such things. The Russian government first sends three commisars to bring him home, and when THEY want to stay in Paris, too, they send a very straight-laced young military woman. Will she fall for the charms of Paris...and the movie producer...as well?

Not the best MGM musical in the world, but the second paring of Astaire and Cyd Charisse (after Band Wagon) does have some fine numbers. "All of You" is the standard, and as appropriate, gets one of the movie's best duets.

Bob Hope had less luck with Joan Fontaine in Casanova's Big Night. One of Bob Hope's later 50s vehicles, Casanova is somewhat reminiscent of another Hope swashbuckler comedy I have, The Princess and the Pirate. Here, Hope is Peppo the Tailor's Assistant who finds himself pushed into playing the great Italian lover Casanova when the real Casanova sneaks out without paying his creditors. Hope must get a petticoat from the daughter of a duke to prove she's faithful to her betrothed. Fontaine and Casanova's valet go along to make sure Hope isn't any more cowardly than usual.

Highly recommended if you're a fan of Hope, Fontaine, or comic swashbucklers. There's some really fun gags here, including Bob "Orson Welles" Hope's attempt at a happy ending and him and Fontaine cross-dressing to get the petticoat back to the right person.

It started raining lightly as I went to work, and apparently continued showering on-and-off for the rest of the night. The weather didn't deter the crowds. We were steady right up until about a half-hour before I left. There were no major problems, and I was in and out quickly.

No comments: