Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Summertime...and the Livin' Is Easy

Generally a nice, quiet, lovely day here. The weather was perfect when I made my way to the Oaklyn Library. Sunny, breezy, warm but not more or less than it should be at this time of year, and not overly humid, either. While some patches of grass are still showing the effects of a mostly dry summer, the storms over the last few weeks have been a huge help. Gardens and trees mostly seem to be much greener than they were this time last month.

Mostly organized DVDs at the Oaklyn Library. The Storybook Hour started shortly after I did. I didn't want to disrupt anything, so I didn't do the kids' section today. I did poke around in the overflowing bin of older children's books they're getting rid of. I picked up vintage hardback copies of Johnny Tremain and A Cricket in Times Square.

It was so nice, I treated myself to WaWa after leaving the library. I bought a pretzel and a Coke Zero with chocolate and raspberry syrups and enjoyed them on the way home. I took the White Horse Pike and West Clinton, instead of going back down Manor like I usually do. Neither the people nor the scenery is as pleasant on the Pike, but it's something different.

When I got in, I continued the Video to DVD Project with Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird. The first of two theatrical Sesame Street feature films takes Big Bird on a cross-country journey when he's adopted by a family that turns out to be a poor match for him. I like this one, but it may be better suited to adults who remember this show in the 80s than current fans of the show. Elmo only makes a very small cameo at the end, and there's no Zoe or Rosita or Abby Cadabba.

I worked on Apple-Cinnamon Muffins while the movie ran. I also swept the porch. The nuts and acorns have been horrible out there this year! Most of the mess is debris and nut shells left by my wild "neighbors" who don't exactly have good table manners, or the leftovers from nuts that cracked falling off the tree.

Ran Sean the Sheep during lunch. This batch introduces a nasty fox who would love to get himself a lamb or chicken dinner. His first story, "Foxy Laddie," where he imitates a ram and out-runs a love-besotted Shirley, was my favorite.

Work was, once again, fast and fairly painless. I only worked four hours, anyway. The only problem was with a WIC Check customer who got the wrong juice; otherwise, it was steady, and I was in and out after picking up some buttermilk.

Dubbed Moon Madness when I got in. I found this rare video at the Audubon Acme, of all places, shortly after I moved here. Back in those days, they still had a shelf of videos for sale at certain registers. You never knew what you'd find there...including a tape of the dubbed version of a French animated film about the adventures of Baron Munchausen and his friends on the moon. I have fond memories of this film turning up from time to time on cable during my childhood. I remembered the catchy theme song "The Secret of the Selenites" better than the movie itself.

No comments: