Sunday, August 21, 2011

Waiting for the Weather to Change

The clouds were going in and out when I got up this morning. It looked like Mother Nature didn't know quite what she wanted to do. I made Peanut Butter Pancakes and dubbed That's Entertainment III. The last of the four documentaries about MGM musicals focuses on behind-the-scenes footage and numbers that were cut or dropped from the films.

Called Mom after breakfast. She was also awaiting the storms. The rain finally found its way to Cape May County this week. She was no longer worried about her parched garden - it finally had plenty of water. Dad's coming home this week as well.

Work was steady for most of the afternoon. It thundered off and on all day, and rained lightly once, but the storm held off. I got to and from work with no trouble, and picked up cooking wine and chocolate chips quickly afterwards.

Made a tomato-mushroom-Colby Cheese omelet for dinner when I got in and copied Sondheim: A Celebration at Carnegie Hall to DVD. This 1993 concert brings in some of the biggest stars of the time to perform music from the shows Sondheim had done through then. Among my favorite numbers are dancer Karen Ziemba and comic Bill Irwin's hilarious "Sooner or Later" from Dick Tracy, Dorothy Louden's medley of "Losing My Mind" (from Follies) and "You Can Drive a Person Crazy" (from Company), Madeline Khan's "I'm Not Getting Married Today" (also from Company), and Bernadette Peters' touching "Not a Day Goes By" (from Merrily We Roll Along).

Switched to The Great Waltz after getting out of a much-needed shower. The first in a series of operettas I have on video that have yet to make it to DVD, this is the biography of composer Johann Strauss. I don't know enough about classical music to be able to tell you what's fact and what's fiction...but I do know the cinematography's so sumptuous, it won an Oscar.

We did finally get that storm, too...around 9:30, and for all of twenty minutes or so. I think the worst passed us by this time.

No comments: