Thursday, August 04, 2011

Library Balance

Started off the morning with listening to one of my newest records as I had oatmeal with natural peanut butter, blueberries, and honey for breakfast. The Official Album of Disneyland/Walt Disney World showcases the music from some of the most popular attractions in Disney theme parks...in 1980. This means that while there are some oft-heard classics like The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribean on there, there's also music from long-defunct attractions like the Disneyland-only America Sings.

My first stop of a busy day was yoga class. We worked on hip openers...and opening up our hearts to let go of fear. That's still hard for me to do. I try to let go, but something always tells me that I can't do it. It's not right. It may hurt. It's too hard.

I went to the Collingswood Library after yoga, then straight to the Haddon Township Library after I was finished there. Neither was especially busy. It started out cloudy and cool this morning, but by the time I was at the libraries, the sun was out, and it was a bit warmer (though not nearly as bad as the past few weeks.) I mainly organized DVDs. Did take out three cartoon discs at Haddon Township - a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Halloween-themed disc Mickey's Treat (I know it's early, but I may not find this in October), Flower Power from Adventures In Care-a-Lot, and that 30th anniversary Schoolhouse Rock set I mentioned a few days ago.

Had lunch at Crystal Lake Diner on the hillside under the Haddon Township Library. My Roast Beef Hoagie was so big, I ended up having half of it for dinner at work tonight! I figured soup and cole slaw was enough, so I nixed the French fries that came with the meal. The Amish-style chicken soup was particularly good, creamy and filled with huge egg noodles.

Stopped at Leo's Yum-Yums on my way home to treat myself to a water ice. Mrs. Doria, one of the proprietors of Doria's Deli next-door, was chatting with her teenage granddaughter Alexis. We had water ice together, and Mrs. Doria gave me a bag of yarn she wanted to get rid of.

Spent the rest of the afternoon at home. I first recorded the Bob Hope comedy The Paleface and did some things online. Jane Russell joins Hope in this western variation on the coward-meets-smart-lady-in-historical-setting theme. In this case, Russell is Calamity Jane, who is promised a pardon in exchange for following a wagon train to a town where rustlers are selling dynamite to Indians. She needs to get the dynamite...but she'll be able to keep her cover better with the wagons if she's married. When the agent who was supposed to join her is killed, she hitches up with "Painless" Peter Potter (Hope), a dentist heading further west on the wagon train. An encounter with Indians leaves Potter thinking he's a hero. How can Jane explain that she did the shooting...and that she may like him as more than a cover?

A major warning here - the Native Americans in this film are portrayed comically and not in the best light, especially in the finale. If you can't get around this, this is not the Bob Hope comedy for you. Political incorrectness aside, I get a kick out of this one. Russell is a hoot in her busty gowns, and she pairs surprisingly well with a strutting Hope. Hope also introduces the Oscar-winning song "Buttons and Bows" as the two are traveling on the wagon train.

There wasn't enough time to start a movie after Paleface ended. I ran Mickey's Treat instead while getting ready for work. The first cartoon on the set was the title episode. Yes, it was a Halloween-themed show. Mickey and the gang head out in costume to the Trick-or-Treat tower for Pete's Halloween Party. Cute episode - I especially liked Goofy's method of getting through the huge candy corn that blocked his path.

Went to work after the cartoon was over. Work was generally busier than last night, but otherwise not really a problem other than my last customers, who kicked up a fuss when the non-food part of their food stamp bill came up to more than they could afford. Otherwise, I was in and out.

No comments: