Thursday, March 14, 2019

The Merman and the Tiger

Kicked off a gorgeous, sunny morning with a recipe I'd never tried before. The British cookie baking book I bought a while back has a simple recipe for Tea Cookies that sounded tasty. I don't know what I did, but the mixture was too dry and refused to come together. I added milk...then a little more...then probably a little too much. I tried to flatten them with a glass that has a sunburst pattern on the bottom, but it was now to wet to really come across well. In the end, they tasted pretty decent, crisp on the bottom, chewy on the top...but it wasn't what I originally intended.

Watched the next two episodes of Man from Atlantis as I baked. The "Giant" Mark encounters is a huge black man who is siphoning water from the ocean to sluice his gold mines. A con-man named Muldoon has already swiped gold from him. Mark eventually persuades him to take him through the fissure and into the rural west area where the man lives.

"Man 'O War" is only slightly less strange. The mad Mr. Schubert returns in what's possibly a take on Jaws and other "animals attack" disaster movies of the late 70's. Here, he's somehow managed to breed a giant mutant jellyfish that he turns loose onto a local beach that's about to hold a major international swimming contest. While their boss C.W deals with the panicky ambassador of one of the countries entered, Elizabeth and Mark try to figure out how Schubert is controlling this massive beast.

Charlie came around as I was getting ready to leave. He told me he was ready to put in the rest of the new windows next week, but he'd need to know when I wouldn't be around, so he wouldn't disrupt anything I had planned. I told him I'll get back to that one tomorrow when I get my schedule.

Headed out around 1, mainly for this week's Haddon Township Library run. They weren't very busy...and it wasn't terribly surprising. The weather was warm and windy but not chilly, probably in the 60's. It was much too nice for people to be hanging around in libraries. I stuck to shelving and organizing the adult DVDs. I have other things I want to watch right now and stuck to renting two sets of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood episodes (one of them brand new) and the most recent Scooby Doo direct-to-home-media movie, Scooby Doo and the Curse of the 13th Ghost.

I made a very quick stop at Target on the way home. I was hoping they carried bike baskets. The one that came with my bike was too small and had gotten dented the day I received the bike. It no longer rests right on the frame and keeps popping off. They did have baskets, but they were even smaller and cheaper than my current one. I went in, checked their bike section, and went right back out again.

Besides, I had something very important to do at home. I'd gotten a summons for jury duty, which wouldn't have been a big deal if it wasn't for May 16th. That's the first full day of my vacation with Lauren. When I did the online questionnaire, I asked them if they could please move the date to either the 15th (the day Lauren arrives - she won't be in until late) or the 25th (the day after she leaves). Lauren and I have been planning this trip since at least December-January.

Cheered myself up with a bit of writing after I finished. Vader's minions, the Shadow Soldiers, chase Leia upstairs. She gets into a fire-fight with them, until one douses her with water and another knocks her out. Vader, a hulking supervillain, demands that Leia give him the tapes that hold the blueprints for his new death ray. When she claims she doesn't have them, he takes her to his hideout at the base of the Naboo Mountains for questioning.

Meanwhile, Rudy and Charlie, the plumber and translator who work for the Rebel League, manage to escape unscathed and unnoticed on Rudy's motorbike, heading towards the suburb Tatoonie and a certain small shop owned by former superhero The Negotiator.

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Switched to Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood while I made chicken breasts stuffed with mozzarella and sauteed onions and mushrooms and a salad for dinner. Fun outdoors at night is the theme of the first set. Daniel and O sleep outdoors and go for a hike for the first time in "Backyard Camping." O's nervous about all the strange sounds around him, but Dan Sr. shows the boys that the sounds and shadows are mainly either animals or their imaginations. "Daniel's Sleepover" is similar, only this time, Dan is sleeping at the castle with Prince Wednesday. It's Queen Sarah Saturday who assures the boys that things aren't so frightening if you take a second look.

"Nightime In the Neighborhood" is a double-length episode that starts with Dan and his family walking to the library, with Dan clad in his trolley pajamas. They see everything that's different in the neighborhood at night, from closed stores to animal sounds. The focus switches to the library in the second half, as Dan Sr, Music Man Stan, and the kids play games that revolve around camping or nighttime, like musical sleeping bags.

Returned to Man from Atlantis as I cleaned up from dinner. Things get really strange in "Shoot Out at Land's End." Mark feels pain in his arm when nothing has happened to it, and heads through a vortex to figure out what's going on. Once again, he somehow turns up in the Wild West, this time discovering a gunslinger named Billy who looks exactly like him. Billy is involved with a railroad baron who wants to build through a certain rancher's land. Mark wants him to do the right thing and help the ranchers, but Billy isn't as sure, especially since it's his neck on the line.

Finished the night with another western, the musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I go into more detail on this dance-heavy tale at my Musical Dreams Reviews Blog.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

No comments: