Sunday, March 10, 2019

Musical Memories

I was up late with Lauren last night...and it was even later when I awoke, thanks to Daylight Savings. It was so late, after wrestling with changing the time on my watch, I wrote in my journal, then went right into making Chocolate Chip Pancakes for what was now brunch.

Listened to the Donna Summer greatest hits collection On the Radio while I ate. Donna Summer's music holds a lot of precious memories for me. Some of my earliest memories are of Rose and me dancing around the house to Dad-Bill's old record copy of Bad Girls, belting the title song at the top of our lungs. I bought him On the Radio on CD as a Christmas present around 1999-2000. I kind of did it as a joke. He'd always been a fan of disco...and Mom was not a fan of disco. To my surprise, it was a hit when Dad played it for my sisters and their friends on Christmas night and became much-requested in my family during the early 2000's, even from Mom.

Ran out to get the laundry done as soon as I finished breakfast. While it was fairly busy, there were plenty of washers and dryers open. Good thing, too. I had a really big load, including towels. I read The Introvert Entrepreneur while ignoring soccer on TV and two Hispanic college kids running loud Spanish music on their smartphones.

Put everything away when I got home, then did some writing. Re-wrote the opening paragraphs. Leia Ortega is still flying over Coruscant City, but she now gets a call from the mysterious White Queen, her Charlie-like boss. She tells her that there's a fire at the Erso Scrapyards in the Scarif District that seems to have been started by the evil Darth Vader, fire-powered Father of Death, and his minions the Shadow Soldiers. The White Queen wants Leia to pick up a package that includes some very important tapes and blueprints, describing Vader's newest secret weapon...

Lauren came on early (she was watching wrestling). I took a shower first, then had a quick leftovers dinner while listening to a few more 70's items and chatting with her. I've been a huge fan of Billy Joel literally for as long as I can remember. Like him, Dad-Bill was from Long Island; Mom often spoke of seeing him play in clubs and bars in the early-mid 70's. His 52nd Street was one of the first records I remember listening to constantly; favorites from this album include "Honesty," "My Life," "Zanzibar," "Rosalinda's Eyes," and "Until the Night."

Finished the night with the soundtrack from Superman: The Movie. Superman has been one of my favorite superheroes since early childhood, likely due to Super Friends and the first three movies. John Williams' score for the first movie has become iconic in its own right, especially the opening credits Title March.

No comments: