Tuesday, March 05, 2019

Man's Best Friend

Started the day with early work. It was once again on-and-off steady. I alternated between doing carts and doing returns, shelving candy, and bagging for most of the day. It actually wasn't as bad outside as I thought it would be. The sun was warm when you could get out of the chilly wind. I went to work and back with no trouble.

Cleaned the bathroom when I got home. The sink in particular needed it; between weird weather and my financial problems, I've been at home a lot more often lately. Watched Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero while I worked. Stubby is a stray dog who follows a young World War I doughboy named Robert Conroy (Logan Lerman) to basic training. He's determined to stay by his human, even marching and training with him. Not only do the head of the base eventually let him stay, but they make him the unit's mascot. He sneaks on board Robert's transport and follows him to war-torn France. He remains with Robert and stays by his side and that of his partner, older French soldier Gaston Baptiste (Geraud Depardieu). Gaston calls them "The Three Musketeers" as Stubby helps sniff out gas attacks, chases rats away, finds wounded soldiers, and even unmasks a German spy. The two stay together through thick and thin, with Stubby hurrying to Robert's side even after he's wounded. Stubby eventually becomes the most decorated dog in American history, and the only one honored with the rank of Sargent.

I thought this was so sweet! The relationship between Gaston, Stubby, and Robert is genuinely touching, and there's some nice animation later during the war scenes.It's too bad this opened to heavy competition last April, including Rampage and Isle of Dogs, and later in the month, Avengers: Infinity War. If you have older kids with any interest in dogs or history, this is a really interesting movie that deserves far more than it got at the box office last year.

Did a quick Popeye short that also involved dogs while I finished. He has to "Proteck the Weakerest" when Olive makes him take her pampered Pekingese for a walk. He's embarrassed to be seen with such a small dog...until they run across Bluto and his tough bull dog, and Fluffy proves that even pooches can benefit from a can of leafy greens.

Moved to writing around 4. Han and the others find Luke being thrown around by Vader and Palpatine in Palpatine's palatial rooms. Vader reveals to Leia and Luke that they're siblings, and his children. While Luke tries to keep his newly-discovered sister from killing their father, Yoda holds off Palpatine.

Broke for dinner at 6. I had leftovers, then turned a mushy pear into Vanilla Pear Cookies from the one-bowl cookie cookbook Lauren sent me a few years ago. Ran one of the most beloved musicals of all time, The Sound of Music, while I baked, and later as I went online after a shower. I go into further details at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

The Sound of Music (1965)

No comments: