Monday, July 22, 2019

Thunder In the Summer

I awoke to sun and haze...but my apartment was, thankfully, far less warm than it was yesterday. I celebrated the cooler weather with breakfast and more Goof Troop. Max and PJ are thrilled when Peg's uncle, retired General Robert E. Lee Sparrowhawk, comes to visit. Despite the fun he has playing with the boys, he's bored and feels useless. Pete claims there's a national emergency that he has to recruit help for, but it ends up doing more harm than good.

Worked on writing for the rest of the morning. The little old man Luke encounters at the backwater swamp village of Dagobah eats the fast food in his car, tosses his stuff around, and won't give up his flashlight. An annoyed Rudy gives away the game - the old man is Yoda, the Jedi Grand Master who once ran the order. He says he doesn't think he can train Luke, but Rudy tells him he's just too used to training kids - Yoda is a former elementary school teacher. The spirit of Ben Kenton in the trees convinces Yoda otherwise.

Broke for lunch around 12:30. Returned to Goof Troop while having a mix of yogurt, blueberries, honey, and cinnamon for lunch. Goofy is "A Goof of the People" when he runs for mayor on a platform of shutting down a factory that's causing some really nasty pollution. Pete runs on the same platform, until the devious owner of the factory bribes him to look the other way and sabotage Goofy.

It was still sunny and killer humid when I went to work, but while it was hot, it wasn't quite as bad as yesterday. I spent most of the first half of the day outside, either rounding up the trash and recycling or gathering carts. Also did some sweeping while the head bagger was on her breaks.

I was doing my second sweep around 5 PM when I happened to look out a window. Clouds had been gathering when I was outside with the carts, but they weren't really that bad. Now, they were bad. It was dark as night out the windows. As soon as I finished sweeping, I dashed outside. It was windy and pitch-black and much cooler. I ran around, bringing as many carts as I could find up to the patio. I'd just grabbed a last one from a corral near Nicholson Road when the clouds broke, the wind roared, thunder rumbled, and it started pouring! I ran the cart back up to the patio as fast as I could, then let the wind blow me inside.

Maybe it's just as well that I wanted to pick up a few things after work. I needed a roll for dinner, and I grabbed a soft pretzel for a snack. Turkey Hill ice cream is still on sale. I went with black cherry and picked up the Acme's generic sparkling black raspberry drink to go with it.

By the time I walked out the door, the rain had finally started to slow down. I only got a little bit damp riding home. Though the rain was gone, the clouds lingered. It's rained off and on, sometimes with thunder, lightning, and heavy wind, for the rest of the night.

As soon as I changed and put everything away, I started dinner. Since I had the turkey bacon, I made a TBLT' - turkey bacon, tomatoes, and lettuce - sandwich and steamed broccoli for dinner. Did some more Goof Troop while I ate and had a tasty Cherry-Berry Cream Float for dessert. Pete claims that he owns half of Goofy's property, and even knocks down part of the wall of his kitchen. He regrets it when Goofy and Max stay with his family, and having a "Goof Under My Roof" drives him crazy.

We learn why he wants Goof's house so badly in the first part of the two-part pilot episode, "Everything's Coming Up Goofy." Goofy wants to move Max to his hometown of Spoonerville. Peg's delighted to sell the house to him. Pete's far less so. He wanted the land to expand his own house. He does everything he can to get Goofy to leave, but it just makes him want to stay.

Finished the night with Lego Star Wars. I didn't have the time for the Super Stories, but I was able to complete the blue minikit challenges on "Defense of Kashyakk" and "Secret Plans." Tried "Rescue the Princess," "Death Star Attack," and "Chancellor In Peril," but didn't get very far. I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Oh, and I bought the tickets for my vacation tonight. I'll be leaving for Albany on Friday, September 13th! :)

No comments: