Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Summer Hair Day Adventures

Began a sunny morning with breakfast, then finishing this month's cleaning. The dust wasn't really that bad, but I wanted to get everything done. I only went around the parts that showed. I won't be doing any heavy dusting again until the fall and we get closer to the holidays.

Ran San Francisco while I worked. I just read "The Scarlet O'Hara War" segment of Moviola this morning, about the search for a southern belle to play the main character of Gone With the Wind and how crazy it got. This is the only movie I own that stars Rhett Butler himself, Clark Gable. He's Blackie Norton, the owner of a Barbary Coast nightspot who want to enter politics and push for more fire regulations. He falls for Mary Blake (Jeanette MacDonald), the new singer at his club, but she's looking for an operatic career. Wealthy Jack Burley (Jack Holt) hires her for his opera company, but Blackie manages to get her back with promises of marriage. She leaves him after he has an argument over her dance costume with his best friend, priest Father Tim Mullin (Spencer Tracy). After his performers are arrested, she steps up and sings for him in a local contest. He turns her and the prize money away...then majorly regrets it when the world shakes, San Francisco starts coming apart around his ears, and all he wants amdi the devastation is his Mary.

The granddaddy of all disaster films, from In Old Chicago to 2012. The melodrama can get to be a bit much at times, but the effects for the earthquake remain incredible and effective to this day. Tracy was nominated for an Oscar as the pugnacious priest; Gable and MacDonald aren't bad as the lovers.

Headed out a little earlier for my errands today, around quarter of noon. I really needed to get my hair cut. I'm not letting it go again. It just gets too frizzy and unmanageable when it's long. Once again went to the Hair Cuttery in Collingswood. I had to wait a half-hour while two boys got theirs finished, but I didn't mind. This time, a young lady named Kia did my hair. She did very well, too, taking off a few inches to bring it up to just over my shoulders. That's all I wanted. She also suggested a leave-in conditioner to help with the frizz, and gave me free small packages of shampoo and conditioner that would help with my dry scalp too without being too harsh like the dandruff shampoos in stores.

Had lunch at the Pop Shop. They were still pretty busy when I got there, despite it being past 1:30. I ended up at the counter. Just ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with lettuce, tomato, provolone cheese, and dijon mustard on a ciabatta bun. It was huge and messy, but very tasty.

Rode over to the Haddon Township Library next for this week's volunteering session. It was even busier over there when I arrived, mostly with programs for kids out of school. The DVDs were so overflowing, even with lots of teenagers helping, there was still plenty for me to return.

I took out movies for the first time in weeks after I finished. I'll be reviewing Mamma Mia!, it's sequel Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again, and the TV special Anything Goes for my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog this week. Though Gone With the Wind isn't a huge favorite of mine, I figured, since I just read about it, I'd give it another try. Also grabbed Collette, the film biography last year on the French writer who eventually takes credit for her own work from her husband, and the first Goof Troop set.

Stopped at Wawa for a quick drink on another hot, humid day. WaWa always has the new and limited edition soda flavors before anyone else. This time, I tried Sprite's "lymonade," presumably lemon Sprite. It's...ok. Doesn't taste all that different from regular Sprite. It's just yellower.

Went into writing as soon as I got home. Luke does manage to blow up one of the monster tanks, but almost blows himself up in the process. Rudy manages to get him away to his car before they can both be flattened. Likewise, Harris gets Leia and Charlie out of town when he's one of the few people left to drive her. But Vader may not be far behind...

Broke for dinner at 6. Had leftovers while watching a quick episode of the original She-Ra. Even "Horde Prime Takes a Holiday," leaving his underling Hordak in charge of his newest spaceship. Hordak proceeds to use it to try to freeze the Whispering Woods. She-Ra can't hold off this menace from the stars alone...which is why she's very glad to see her brother He-Man come around to help her out. His regular villain Skeletor fights with Hordak, giving She-Ra and He-Man the chance to stop Horde Prime's new toy for good.

Did Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga after dinner. Completed "Escape From Echo Base," "Betrayal at Bespin," and "Cloud City Trap." I only needed one in "Betrayal," but the other two were a lot more complicated. There's one in "Cloud City Trap" that you have to throw a thermal detonator in just the right spot to get, and it always takes forever. In "Echo Base," there's one part where you have to jump on black bricks over a slippery slope. If you misjudge your jump even a little bit, you slide back down. At any rate, all three rounds are finished, and I got the x6 and Fast Build extras.

Finished the night with Mamma Mia! I go more into this energetic ABBA jukebox musical at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Mamma Mia: The Movie

No comments: