Monday, July 08, 2019

How I Spent My Summer Day

I awoke to a light shower. It was still going when I had breakfast, then vacuumed the apartment. Watched Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Summer Vacation while I worked. The Toons are all delighted to be out of school and have very different ways of passing the time. Plucky joins Hampton on his family's trip to Happy World Land,  only to discover they're an annoyingly naive smiley-happy bunch who would give the Osmonds cavities. Buster, Babs, and Myron the hound spend their summer on the river, dodging hungry swamp critters who think they're on the barbecue menu. Elmyra terrorizes the animals in a safari park. Fifi follows a handsome skunk matinee idol in an attempt to get an autograph, but he most definitely does not share her devotion. Shirley the Loon is also having guy problems. Fowlmouth drags her to the movies, where he proceeds to talk over the film, cut in line, and pretty much make everyone in the film and the audience want to kill him.

An old favorite of mine since we used to rent the video fairly frequently in the early-mid 90's. A lot of the gags are dated and the animation isn't any better or worse than the TV show, but if you're a fan of the show, the Toons, or the animation from this era, it's worth checking out.

It was still raining when I headed to work, but not heavily. I arrived only a little damp. The rain was starting to clear out, even as I rounded up carts. Good thing, too. Other than alternating sweeping with the head bagger, I was outside with the carts or trash the whole day. It was pretty much the same as yesterday inside - mostly dead, and never more than mildly steady. Everyone is on vacation or recovering from last week's festivities.

Thankfully, by the time I went home, it was a little humid, but otherwise sunny and much cooler. I was even able to leave the air conditioning off. Took out my own recycling, then did a little writing. Luke and Wedge are part of the Jet Pack Squadron who go up against giant robot lizard-tanks. Wedge flies so fast around them, they fall over. Luke cuts into one and uses his light powers to blow it to smithereens.

I was working on the last-named part when the phone rang. It was Rose. Our cousin Guy and his family were visiting from Taiwan. Did I want to come see him at Dad and Jodie's house? Sure! He hadn't been in the US for a while, and I had to pick up the pan from the cake I made on the 4th of July anyway.

Threw on shoes and socks, grabbed my purse, and hurried out. Everyone was there when I arrived, Rose and her family, Dad and Jodie, and Jessa, along with Guy and his wife and daughter. Guy lives in Taiwan, and his wife is a very pretty and soft-spoken Taiwanese lady. Their daughter Serena is getting so big! The last time I saw her, she was a toddler. Now she's 7, and seemed to be quite happy to play big girl cousin to an admiring Finley as they watched The Secret Life of Pets. I got to have the last of the cheese and pepperoni pizza Jodie bought, then we all shared the last of my (well-received) strawberry-lemonade icebox cake. Chatted with Guy about his life in Taiwan, the differences between here and there, and how much things had changed since the last time he was here.

Ended the night at home with more Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga. Picked up the remaining pieces and red bricks in the New Hope levels. This gave me tractor beam, Super Blasters, and finally, times 2. Tomorrow, I'll see how far I can get with Empire.

No comments: