Thursday, September 19, 2019

Catch Us If You Can

We started out a little bit later this time, around 10:30. Our destination today wasn't quite as far. We returned to Lee, this time to check out the sprawling outlet mall just off the Mass Pike there. Parked in the back, then started towards the back of the mall.

Lauren said her parents had put in a request for smooth fruit butters from Harry & David's, so we made that our first stop. They don't just sell fruit butter. While Lauren tried to figure out which flavors her folks wanted, I looked over pumpkin scone mixes, chocolate-covered fruit candies, tea, coffee,  cookies, and popcorn, among other things. She ultimately went with pear butter and orange marmalade.

Next up was the Dress Barn. It's one of the few stores in the outlets that also sells plus sizes. I like their sweaters, but I didn't see anything I absolutely needed, and Lauren didn't, either. She did much better at sports store Under Armor, picking up shorts, teal and black pants, and a lavender shirt for working out.

I made my first find of the day at Eddie Bauer. They've always been good to me, as far back as when my mother bought our clothes almost exclusively from them, Land's End, and L.L Bean in the 90's. They had thick, simple t-shirts in pretty fall colors for $7.99. I went with one in a lovely shade of pink-peach.

By that point, it was lunchtime, and we were both pretty hungry. The food court was far more full than it was when we went last year. Then, there were maybe two booths open. Today, all the booths but one were occupied. We both went Italian. She opted for a thick pepperoni Stromboli and a salad. I went with a massive slice of vegetable pizza and three garlic rolls. Yum! My pizza was thick and doughy, covered in tons of vegetables, and the garlic rolls were just as good.

We were in and out of stores for the next two hours. Lauren did much better than I did, finding cute floral blouses for her job at a local bank at Ann Taylor and LOFT, a lavender sweater at Aeropostale, and a blouse at Banana Republic. Neither of us dug up anything at Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger, PacSun, American Eagle Outfitters, or Fanatics by Lids (another sports store, this one with emphasis on team gear).

I did better during our last hour and a half. I had luck with the Gap Outlet the first time we were here in October 2015, and I did well here again. I found a sage t-shirt with the cutest daisy print for $9.99. Lauren picked up two tank tops and a good button-down shirt in raspberry pink. I loved the socks I bought from G.H Bass & Co last year so much, I bought three more pairs, two of the same ones in black and higher ones in brick red and black. They were slightly more expensive than they were last year, but those thick cotton socks are perfect for work.

Hit some traffic going into downtown Pittsfield before we made it over to the city branch of the bank she works for. We both needed money. I wanted it for dinner at the Highland, a much-loved local restaurant in Pittsfield. She got us in, we got our cash from the ATM machine (it was past 5 PM at that point), and we got out.

 Lauren revealed what was going on with the traffic when we parked in a mostly-full lot...and discovered a bagpipe group playing on the other side. (And quite well, too.) Turns out today is their Third Thursday celebration. We listened to the bagpipers briefly, then headed back.

The Highland is another small basic fare place, this time with a bar and lots of dark wood paneling. Lauren had pork sausage with mashed potatoes and applesauce. I had a simple roast beef sandwich on whole-wheat bread. My dessert was a big, sweet slice of their delicious coconut custard pie. Hers was something called Grape Nuts pudding, which basically looked like bread pudding with a crusty outside. (I have to admit, it actually looked pretty good.) The waitress was hilarious, joking about us not liking our food when we'd cleared our plates. Lauren and her parents have eaten here for years and know the wait staff quite well.

Got in around quarter after 7, just in time for the second half of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! with Lauren's parents. Today was my last day here. Tomorrow, I'm heading home around 11:30. I already texted Jodie and told her I'd just take Uber home from the Cherry Hill Station, after all the trouble with the Transit schedules.

No comments: