Saturday, September 07, 2019

Breezy Day Harvest

Began a lovely, sunny morning with breakfast and Garfield In the Rough. Garfield would be happier to be on vacation if it didn't involve camping in the woods with Jon and Odie. Their camp out takes a turn for the scary when they're told that there's a black panther loose in the area...and they may be it's next lunch if they don't leave fast!

Headed out even before the cartoon ended. I needed to run a few errands, starting with a trip to the Collingswood Farm Market. I'll be on vacation during this next week. Even as late as 11:30, they were still busy with people looking for produce for end-of-summer barbecue and football parties. Saw acorn squash and pears for the first time this year. I went with the pears, along with peaches and two tiny little sweet orange peppers.

After the couple of weeks I've had, I deserved a treat. I went across the street to WaWa and decided it was time to try my first Pumpkin Spice Cream Smoothie of the year. Ooh, while it still had that eggnog-y taste to it, it also felt wonderful cool on my throat going down.

Took the long way back to Oaklyn across Newton Lake Park. It was a perfect day for it. The sun was shining, the breeze was blowing, and the green waters on the lake sparkled. No wonder I dodged a ton of bikers and families out for a stroll.

Stopped quick at Dollar General next. I needed cold medicine. Wanted to try a drinkable version. Theirs was cheapest. Bought it and moved on.

Next up was the Oaklyn Library. Considering how dead they were, their DVDs needed a ton of work. Everything in the adult and children's DVDs were out of order. I had a quiet half-hour or so organizing them

Spent the rest of the day getting things done at home. After I made the (nasty-tasting) cough drink, I had my lunch, then started cleaning the kitchen. The kitchen sink was even grungier than the bathroom sink, and the counter really needed to be done, too.

Watched National Lampoon's Animal House while I worked. The Delta Tau Chi house is the worst at Faber College. They never pass their classes, start food fights, have loud drunken parties, and accidentally kill a horse belonging to the obnoxious head of the cadets (Mark Metcalf). In fact, their most popular member is Bluto (John Belushi), who's greatest achievement is crushing a beer can against his forehead. Dean Wormer (John Vernon) has had it up to here with their antics. They're already on probation, and a wild toga party that gets out of hand is the last straw before he revokes their charter, then expels them. After the members of super-clean-cut Omega Theta Phi beat up on sarcastic Otter (Tim Mattheson), Bluto rallies the others to invade the homecoming dance...and prove that even misfits have a place in higher education.

This much-loved comedy was a massive hit in 1978 and remains popular on real college campuses to this day. If you love slobs vs snobs comedies or have your own wild memories of college, you're going to really love this one.

After I finished the kitchen, I decided it was time to change the sheets. It's been warm during the day, but cool at night...and sometimes, it hasn't even been warm during the day. I haven't had the air conditioner on in almost a week, and then, it was briefly. Switched the bed to the blue and tan comforter and the fall/spring sheets and dumped the summer sheets in the laundry basket.

Ran a Three Stooges short while I worked. The Stooges are "Microphonies" when Curly sings along to a recording made by a hopeful soprano, and record producers think he is the hopeful soprano. His buddies dress him as a woman to get him a career and the money.

Vacuuming was up next. Took the rag rug and front door rug out to shake them, then got it done. It mainly just needed to be run really fast.

Moved on to writing next. The women manage to help Charles to his feet. He blows smoke on the few remaining ghosts to show he's not afraid...and the smoke returns him and the women to the hall where they began.

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Had leftovers while watching another school-themed episode of Tiny Toon Adventures. It's "Son of Looniversity Daze" when we get another round of Acme Looniversity shorts. "Plucky's Dastardly Deed" is cheating on a test, but he regrets it almost as soon as he does it. It's not an "Open and Shut Case" when a high-tech locker refuses to give Hamton his lunch. Buster, Plucky, and Hamton have to deliver a piano that was dropped on the roof downstairs in "C Flat or B Sharp."

Played Lego Star Wars after dinner. I still can't get through that darn Return of the Jedi Super Story! This time, I got midway through "Into the Death Star" before I ran out of time. I'll keep trying until I go on vacation.

Finished the night with A Boy Named Charlie Brown. I go more into the first Peanuts film on the big screen at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

A Boy Named Charlie Brown

No comments: