Thursday, September 26, 2019

Good Food, Good Company

Began a sunny morning with my second early day of work in a row. It wasn't that much different than yesterday. Other than doing a few returns, rounding up trash, and sweeping the store, I was mainly outside with the carts. While it was more humid and a bit warmer than yesterday, it remained breezy, even after clouds started to roll in around noon.

After work, I took advantage of a major sale and picked up one last box of cake mix, this time yellow. Also grabbed a bottle of water and a Kind nut bar for a snack. It was partly cloudy by the time I got out, a bit cooler and windier, but still very nice.

When I rolled in, I went right into lunch. Had a simple meal of apple cider donuts and a delicious Fall Spice Smoothie (pumpkin yogurt, a peach that was getting soft, apple cider, honey, spices), then worked on crocheting a dishrag while watching A Chorus Line. I go further into the 1985 film version of the long-running Broadway blockbuster at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

A Chorus Line

Did some writing after the movie ended. Ira appears, to the annoyance of pretty much the entire crowd. Richard tries to threaten him, but the obnoxious producer had him sedated to keep him from fighting. Gene's about ready to do some hitting of his own, but Brett's already figured out what Ira is after. It's not about money. It's about controlling them and their contestants and audiences. Richard has always been a troublemaker, even on Feud, and what he and Brett and Charles do, the others do.

Jodie called me while I was writing. Their old friends Diane and Brian were visiting from Cape May, and Jessa was there, too. Did I want to come over for dinner? Sure, why not? I hadn't seen them in a while, and I hadn't had any plans for dinner besides leftovers. It started raining while I was writing, but the rain was long gone by the time I grabbed my raincoat and headed out.

Everyone was already there by the time I arrived. Diane and Brian have been friends of Dad's for literally as long as I can remember. They've known him for so long, they remember when I was born. Apparently, Mom had me (briefly) at their wedding in 1980, as Dad was Brian's best man. They live in West Cape May, a block from the house we lived in between 1991 and 1994. They're staying with Dad and Jodie overnight, then will take a plane from the Philadelphia International Airport to Montreal. They're leaving from there for a cruise to Maine and Boston.

Jodie's huge dinner was a feast! She made a big fat chicken, with baby carrots and fingerling potatoes. There was corn, stuffing, and garlic bread on the side. I tried sliced tomatoes topped with long hot peppers...but even pulling off the peppers didn't make them any less spicy-hot. I took one bite and drank almost a whole glass of water.

After dinner, we made conference calls via to old friends, one of whom lived in Florida, another in a farm house in St. Louis. While Jodie and Brian and Diane chatted, I was nodding off. I was getting tired. Not to mention, the Eagles game was starting - they played the Packers tonight. Jessa and I finally took our leave around 8:30.

It was so late, Jessa drove me home. We had a nice chat in her car outside the house. I love Rose and Anny, but honestly, Jess may be my closest sibling. We're both artistic introverts who often feel out of place in the family and wish the others would listen to us. I'm glad I've gotten to know her better lately.

Oh, and this time, the Eagles did much better, running over the Green Bay Packers 34-27.

No comments: