Sunday, September 29, 2019

Lovely Day for a Picnic

Began a sunny, warm day with work. I ended up getting extra hours. One of the baggers called out. I just wish I'd had more to do to earn it. I did end up in the register early-on, but I was mainly outside, gathering carts or trash and recycling with three other baggers. We weren't even really that busy. It's right before the beginning of the month, and there was no Eagles game today - they played (and won) on Thursday.

I forgot a few things when I shopped on Friday. They're having a big 4-day sale on cheese; I grabbed Monterrey Jack. They're also having a 49 cent sale on apple juice. I chose the Acme's generic apple cider. Plucked a bag of sugar cookies off the reduced baked goods rack.

Rushed out as soon as I finished, but I had trouble on the road. The seat on my bike has been loose for a while now. It finally came off as soon as I got across Nicholson Road. It took me nearly ten minutes, but I finally got it on long enough to finally head back to Oaklyn.

I had to hurry. Today was Oaklyn's Town Picnic, and I wanted to at least catch some of it. As I pulled up to the Oaklyn School, I encountered several bounce houses and games of chance for the kids. Going beyond them, I found the tables with the free food in the school's driveway. There wasn't much left by 2:30. I figured the meatball sandwich and can of Sierra Mist would be sufficient. I ate it by a big tree on the school's front lawn.

There were plenty of other free goodies on West Clinton. One table offered me a free bag of popcorn. A kid group playing games had free cupcakes; I snitched a chocolate one. I passed tables representing Oaklyn's PTA and police, all of whom were giving out free items.

As soon as I got home, I changed, then went downstairs to try to fix the bike seat. Turns out the poles holding the seat between the bits were broken, and the bits had come loose. It took me nearly an hour (and dozens of mosquito bites) to figure out, but I did manage to get the bits on the right way. I wish I hadn't tried duct-taping the poles together. Now they don't fit right between the bits! Oh well, it's on, anyway.

Spent the rest of the afternoon trying to focus on writing. Ira insults Fannie and Charles when they go to help the drugged Richard. Having heard one insult too many, Charles finally lashes out, getting Ira down long enough for Brett to grab him. Charles knows what he really is...but Brett doesn't, and it comes as a real surprise when he reveals his true form...

Finished the night with Gingerbread Pancakes (which I burned), and Volume 1 of my Disney CD set. I ordered this set for my birthday with a gift card from Lauren almost a decade ago, and I've been listening to it ever since. While most of the songs on Disc 1 are old favorites like "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" and "Be Our Guest," there's a few rarities. Annette Funicello joins the Beach Boys for the very early 60's surf-rock theme song from The Monkey's Uncle, Professor Ludwig Von Drake introduces his audiences to the colors of the rainbow in "The Spectrum Song," Kirk Douglas describes "A Whale of a Tale" from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and we get Mickey's original theme song, the cute "Minnie's Yoo Hoo."

No comments: