Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Winds of Fall

Began the morning with breakfast, then with baking. Dove into the Hershey's 1934 Chocolate Cookbook to try Cocoa Molasses Drop Cakes. They seemed appropriately homey for a much cooler morning. They didn't make much...but what they did make were chewy, rich, and wonderfully spicy! The kitchen smelled wonderful while they were baking.

Watched Gold Diggers of 1933 while I baked. I go further into one of the three classic Busby Berkley musicals of the early 30's on my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Gold Diggers of 1933

I ran one of the three cartoons the DVD came with while getting organized and looking over a few things. "Pettin' In the Park" has a nanny and a driver kissing in his car, but a cop who was also interested in her wants to break them up quick!

Headed out to run errands as soon as the cartoon ended. First stop was the Oaklyn Library. They're already decorated for Halloween, with a black lace curtain hanging in front of the main door and cloth witches, ghosts, and ghouls everywhere. The DVDs needed a lot of work, especially the adult titles. Everything was out of place! This what happens when you're gone a week. It was otherwise quiet in there. I think I saw one other person besides the librarians and me the entire time.

Next stop was Genova's Pizza on Cuthbert Road for a quick lunch. Despite the cool, cloudy, windy day, I sat outside and enjoyed my slice of cheese and slice of mushroom pizza and can of Coke in silence. They had football on ESPN on inside, and it was kind of noisy. I enjoyed the quiet and the traffic going past on Cuthbert.

Rode down Cuthbert to the Haddon Township Library for this week's session there. They also had a lot to do. The DVD return racks were so full, I wasn't even finished with the adult titles by the time I was ready to go. Took out A Chorus Line and the 1939 animated Gulliver's Travels for review, along with the spy spoof Johnny English Reborn and the first season of the newest Star Wars animated series, Resistance.

Took the long way through Newton Lake Park on my way back to Oaklyn. It was surprisingly full for such a cool day, with a lot of mothers and their children running around in the playground, and a lot of Canadian geese grazing around for a snack. I dodged them and admired the slowly yellowing foliage and variety of wildflowers waving on the river.

Made a quick stop at Dollar General on my way home. They didn't have what I was looking for, so I just bought eggs (which are cheaper there than at the Acme) and my favorite pecan roll and moved on.

Went straight into writing when I got home. Gene distracts the demon puppets by taking over as host of the demented version of Family Feud they're stuck in and actually interviews them, allowing the others enough time to slip away from their grasping arms and tangling ropes. Once they puppets are all behind the desks, he calls a commercial and leads the others out before the puppets realize what's going on.

Broke for dinner at 6:30. I made skillet chicken cheeseburger casserole - ground chicken with orange peppers, mushrooms, onions, Worcestershire sauce, and cheddar cheese - and then decided I'd try something a little different. I picked up real apple cider from the farm market on Saturday and used a cup to make my own apple cider donuts. They fell apart a little when I pulled them out, and really weren't that apple-tasting. I may add more cider or actual apples the next time I make them.

Finished the night while I worked with the first couple of episodes of Resistance. "The Recruit" is the two-part pilot episode about how Poe Dameron (Oscar Issac) recruits hotshot young New Republic pilot  Kazuna Xiondo (Josh Brener) to get to know the residents of an aircraft refueling station and find out who's working for the First Order. He's supposed to be a mechanic working for Jarek Yeager (Scott Lawrence), but he runs off his mouth about how good of a pilot he is. He ends up in a local race, flying an ancient ship against an undefeated pilot.

"The Triple Dark" is a major storm that Neimodian Hallion Nark wants to flee before it hits. He brings his car to Yeager and pushes hard to get it done as fast as possible. This proves to be a moot point when they're attacked by pirates, and Kaz has to figure out how to save them.

Kaz isn't exactly getting along with his fellow mechanics, but it's "Fuel for the Fire" when he befriends a cocky young swoop bike racer. He thinks the kid wants to be friends, but he really has ultierior motives. Kaz eventually saves him from himself when he steals a highly experimental fuel that may become deadly in the wrong hands.

No comments: