Sunday, September 01, 2019

Tea for Me

Ugh. I awoke feeling tired and stuffed up, with a nasty sore throat. I did manage to find enough room for Apple Cinnamon Pancakes for breakfast. They came out perfectly, too, chunky and just sweet enough and reeking of autumn.

Headed out west while I ate with the musical version of Destry Rides Again. This adaptation of the 1939 film has Andy Griffith as the title character, a lawman who doesn't carry a gun or believe in violence, and Dolores Gray as Frenchy, the dance hall girl who is ordered by her gunman boss to seduce him, but falls for him instead. Alas, the best-received aspect of this production - vigorous choreography by Michael Kidd - can't be seen today. "The Ring on That Finger" was apparently mildly popular at the time, but the score just isn't that memorable. Thankfully, the other notorious aspect of this - the temper tantrums Gray threw during its run - can't be heard, either. She sounds just fine, especially in her vamp number "I Know Your Kind" and "I Hate Him."

I was so tired after breakfast, I went right back to sleep. Despite the noise outside, I passed out until the mid-afternoon. Since it was relatively cool, I decided to make Apple Cinnamon Muffins for lunch at work this week. They came out relatively well, a bit chunky. Should have sliced the apples a bit more.

Switched to No, No, Nanette while I baked. This Roaring 20's tale of shenanigans in Atlantic City and New York gave people a rare later glimpse of Ruby Keeler and brought Helen Gallagher a Tony as a wife who thinks her husband is chasing three women. They're really three woman whom Keeler's husband (Jack Gilford) is giving money to. The score features some of the most definitive, songs of the 1920's, including "Tea for Two" and "I Want to Be Happy." My favorite number was written for the revival. Keeler and Gilford reminisce about how things in New York have changed over the years in "Only a Moment Ago."

Tried doing some writing, but I was just too tired. I ended up watching lots of Match Game and looking up stuff on Pinterest. Called Jodie and telling her I couldn't come over. I just wasn't up to it. I'll drop by their house later in the week, and football season will be starting soon.

It was around 4 PM when I went back to bed...but this time, I just couldn't sleep. My body felt hot and cold. I had a fan on me, and I was too cold. Turn it off, and I was too hot. I put a cold cloth on my head, and it didn't do much. I finally gave up and read Last Shot around 5:30.

I was so tired around 6:30, I could barely get up and have yogurt and grapes for dinner. I nearly passed out eating them. A shower at least somewhat restored my spirits and made me a little less hot and cold.

Finished the night with honey-lemon tea and Match Game. God, this show is fun. I'm too tired to list all the episodes I watched tonight, so here's a classic from 1977. We saw Richard and Betty White imitate Brett and Charles last week. Well, here's Richard and Fannie Flagg doing it....and dare I say, Fannie's interpretation of Charles is even better than Betty's?

Match Game '77

No comments: