Monday, September 23, 2019

Not Quite Like Fall

I had afternoon work today, which allowed me to begin the first day of fall with breakfast and several seasonal black and white Silly Symphony shorts. "Autumn" is what it sounds like, animals gathering food for the winter to the tune of classical music. A fly and his friends take on a cunning arachnid in "The Spider and the Fly." "The Cat's Out" turns a cat's evening into a nightmare when he dreams that the very creatures he once chased are now attacking him.

After breakfast, I started taking down the summer decorations. Despite the heat and humidity today, it was still the first day of fall. Put up some of the fall stuff after I put what little I have for summer away. I'm not going to hang any garlands over the living room and bedroom windows this year. I don't want to ruin the new walls, and it's too hard to tack them to the wooden paneled walls. I was able to put out the tiny baskets filled with fake fall foliage, the pillow from Jo Ann's with the felt leaves, the two scarecrows, the stuffed squirrel and candy corn (the latter made by my mother), and all the stuffed pumpkins and apples.

Watched the Bowery Boys while I worked, and later as I had a quick lunch. They're Spy Chasers when the Princess and King of Louie's former home Truvania ask for his and the Boys' help. Truvania is in the midst of a revolution, and the king needs a coin from a certain courier to know if it's safe to return to the country. His head general and the princess' lady-in-waiting are in cahoots with the people who want the king deposed and make several attempts to get the coin, including kidnapping the princess and hypnotizing Sach.

Did two unusual Pink Panther shorts while getting ready for work. "Pinkfinger" has a narrator relating how Pink can become a spy and track down bad guys. He's trying to mine "Pink Ice" in Africa, but the two South African miners across the way keep stealing from him in the only short where he has a voice. (Interestingly, the same as the narrator from "Pinkfinger.")

Work was fairly quiet when I arrived, and it didn't get much busier for most of the day. I spent most of the first three hours outside with the carts...except for when they wanted me to clean the men's bathroom. I accidentally spilled the water I was intending to use for the bathroom near the lockers in the back storage area and had to clean up that. Organized gift cards for the last hour and helped a manager dispose of a broken jar of hot peppers.

Came home and worked on writing for a while. While the demonic marionettes in the contestant desks attack the others, Brett finally pulls Charles back from the wall. She ends up shooting Richard down, breaking the wires that hold him to the ceiling. Charles catches him before he hits the ground. Brett is amused by his loving expression, but not by the demon doll that swoops down from the ceiling, trying to grab them. Gene, who has climbed onto one of the desks, might have a way to get rid of them...

Broke for dinner at quarter of 7. Made a modernization of "Saucy Franks" from the Better Homes and Gardens Jiffy Cooking cookbook. Replaced the tomato soup with tomato sauce and lemons (didn't have them) with lemon juice. They came out quite nicely, just sweet-sour enough. Had them accompanied by mashed potatoes.

Finished the night with The Hollywood Revue of 1929. I go further into MGM's first attempt at a variety show at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

The Hollywood Revue of 1929

2 comments:

Linda said...

Emma, why not get a set of small Command hooks to hang your garlands? You could use the clear ones, which can stay up all the time, and if you need to take them down they just pull off easily.

Emma said...

The walls in the living room are brand-new. I don't want to damage them. The ones in my bedroom are wood, and not only do I not want to damage them either, but I have a hard time tacking or hooking things into them.