Saturday, September 28, 2019

Hot Harvest

I overslept this morning. I wanted to get to the farm market, so I very quickly had breakfast while listening to Unsung Musicals. These are old favorites of mine, collections of songs from musicals that turned up in shows that either closed quickly on Broadway or never made it there, and either way were never recorded. I love "Disneyland," "In Our Hands," and the perky title song from the beauty pageant spoof Smile, "There are Days and There are Days" from a short-lived show about Jackie Robinson, and the title song of Sherry!, a musical version of The Man Who Came to Dinner, performed deliciously by Johnathan Freeman and Christine Baranski.

It was already hot and getting hotter when I pulled into the bike rack near the Collingswood Farm Market. Heat or no heat, they were packed when I went looking for produce. I didn't really need that much, mainly fruit. Considered a pumpkin, but decided to save hauling that home until I had more time next week. Just went with purple grapes, a big green pepper, three little organic orange peppers, and small Empire apples.

I didn't have much time until work, so I went straight home. Finished out Unsung Musicals while having a very quick meal of yogurt, honey, and those grapes. Oh, yum! The grapes were so juicy and sweet. I wish they hadn't had seeds, but oh well. I can spit them out. 

Work, after all that, was steady but not overwhelming. I did end up in a register once, when ironically the head bagger went on break. Other than that, I spent the day outside, either gathering carts or rounding up outside trash and recycling. It may have been hot and humid, but it was also breezy, and at least tolerable. At least three other baggers arrived during the afternoon, and another was on his way in when I left.

Tried to do some writing when I got home. Joyce's kicking Ira rouses Richard. He tries to go after him, but he's drugged and isn't moving well. He ends up crashing into the contestants' desks. Bill and Brett hurry to defend him, but help comes from the most unexpected place...

Finished the night with shrimp and leftovers for dinner and Gulliver's Travels. I go further into the Fleischer Brothers' first venture into feature films at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

No comments: