Saturday, August 31, 2019

Welcome to the Holiday Weekend

I was so glad that the weather remained stunning. I had a lot to do today, starting with breakfast and a couple of Tom & Jerry cartoons. "Texas Tom" uses a western record wound by Jerry to serenade a pretty cowgirl kitty. Jerry rebels and embarrasses Tom. Jerry helps a lion who escaped the circus in "Jerry and the Lion." Tom's conducting a concert in "Tom & Jerry at the Hollywood Bowl," but an annoyed Jerry comes in and wrecks havoc. Jerry rescues a pet fish from becoming Tom's next meal in "Jerry and the Goldfish."

Headed out as soon as the last-named cartoon ended. I had a lot of errands to run, starting at the Collingswood Farm Market. It was quarter after 11 by that point, and they were starting to wind down. In fact, the orchard booth tossed in three extra small Gala apples just to get rid of them. I dodged people buying produce for their Labor Day barbecues and back-to-school lunches long enough to pick up nectarines, two small eggplants, and lettuce along with the apples.

Made my way across Collingswood and Cuthbert Road to the Haddon Township Library next. I didn't stick around, but I did want to return my DVDs. Dug around in the book sales again and found Melody's first American Girl book and the thriller Sorry, Wrong Number on DVD. Didn't take any movies out - I've been having too much fun with Match Game, plus I still have a few movies I haven't watched.

I was going to stop at the Oaklyn Library next, but they were closed. Turns out they're off for Saturday and Monday. Rats. I'll try them again later next week.

Went home and put everything away and rested a bit before heading back out. There was one more thing I wanted to do today. I had to deliver the snickerdoodles to work. A sweet older lady who works in the deli is retiring, and we had a huge party for her, with her family and lots of pink roses and balloons. There was plenty to eat, mac and cheese and ziti and roast beef for sandwiches, two types of deviled eggs, a vegetable tray, pasta salad and potato salad and meatballs. Desserts included a massive yellow cake with whipped icing, molasses cake, cheesecake, jam butter cookies, white chocolate-dried cranberry cookies, and lots of candy. I enjoyed a roast beef sandwich, slightly dry ziti, two deviled eggs (one with spices, the other with celery and a pimento), pasta salad, a huge slice of cake, and the white-chocolate dried cranberry cookies.

I wasn't feeling well when I got home. My throat had been sore, and I was dead tired. Ignoring the noise Charles and Richard made while working on the new brick walkway out front, I jumped in the bed as soon as I could and had a nice sleep for two hours.

When I got up, I tried to focus on writing. Maz gives Harris food for the road. He hugs her and apologizes for the mess. She says she and her remaining people will cover their escape.

Had leftovers for dinner while watching an episode of The Muppet Show in honor of Valerie Harper, who passed away after a long bout with cancer yesterday. Valerie turns up in the late first season to perform two 70's Broadway favorites, "Broadway Baby" from Follies and "Nobody Does It Like Me" from Seesaw. Statler, one of the balcony hecklers, has a crush on her and is determined to see her, but the plant he brings with him climbs all over the place until it nearly takes over the backstage.

Played Lego Star Wars after dinner. I got so close on the Return of the Jedi Super Story! I actually got past "Battle of Endor" and all the way up to the beginning of "Into the Death Star" this time. I'll make another try tomorrow or Monday.

I still wasn't feeling well by the time I finished the game, so I took my temperature. Ugh. It was 99.5. I took ibuprofen, put a cold cloth on my head, drank lots of water, and watched the 1997 version of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella for my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella (1997)

Finished the night with a ton of Match Game, mostly focusing on 1974 and 1976...but I couldn't resist the Star Wars references in one episode from 1978. Hope you're all having as much fun with them as I am!

Match Game '74 (Gene discovers that his microphone telescopes - that is, moves up and down.)
Match Game '74 (Richard somehow manages to dig up a photo of a young and handsome Gene Rayburn knitting.)
Match Game '74 (With a contestant and a panelist being from South America, there's quite a few south-of-the-border jokes.)
Match Game '75 (Fannie Flagg has quite a crush on a handsome contestant.)
Match Game '75 (Major ham Jack Cassidy joins in as that good-looking contestant finally loses.)
Match Game '76 (The contestant is very pregnant...and it's making everyone very nervous.)
Match Game '76 (Richard does his best impersonation of Charles, to the annoyance of the latter.)
Match Game '78 (Lots of Star Wars references when the machine that holds the questions makes strange noises, including a bit of the main Star Wars theme!)

No comments: