Thursday, August 01, 2019

Cleaning Up Summer

The sun was back when I awoke this morning. Had a quick breakfast while listening to my Peter Pan Cinderella LP. This is a kid's adaptation of one of my favorite fairy tales. It pretty much follows the Perrault version, with a fairy godmother and mice and a pumpkin coach. Some of the music isn't bad, including Cindy's introductory number.

Work did not begin well. One of the frozen food coolers is still leaking. I had to pick up the saturated cardboard and water-absorbers that allowed people to get to the frozen vegetables, toss the cardboard, replace the absorbers with dry ones, and clean up the mess. Not fun, and it took over an hour and a half to get that all dry. The rest of the day went better. I spent most of it outside, gathering carts and the outside trash and recycling and enjoying the nice day.

The weather was so nice, I took the long way home down Nicholson Road. While it was hot, probably in the mid-upper 80's, it wasn't nearly as humid as it has been, and there was a nice wind. The Acme hadn't been busy, and Nicholson Road was even less-so. Everyone must have been out and about, enjoying the weather.

Had a snack when I got home, then slid into the bath. Ahhh. I so needed that. I did bring a book, but I mainly lay back and soaked. It felt so relaxing after a long couple of weeks.

Did some writing after I got out. Vader sends off Bob A Fettman and his goons, then talks on the phone with his boss Palpatine, "The Phantom." Palpatine wants to eliminate the Jedi Knight and his friends. Vader, who would rather save his children, suggests that they could be corrupted, like he was.

Broke for dinner at quarter of 7. Had sauteed Chinese beans and tomatoes with the leftover turkey burgers. while watching more What's New, Scooby Doo? "3-D Destruction" takes the gang to the opening of a new dinosaur museum, boasting a just-discovered type of dinosaur found by Fred's hero, Melbourne O'Reilly. When a dinosaur seems to literally jump out of the 3-D movie they watch at the museum, the gang has to figure out where it came from and what it's really after.

It was such a nice night, I strolled down to West Clinton Avenue after dinner. Treated myself to spumoni (pistachio, cherry, and chocolate) ice cream from Phillies Yummies. I'm not normally a fan of pistachio, but this was really good. I suspect it was home-made, with lots of real pistachio and cherry pieces. There were lots of kids out enjoying the weather too, including a couple of pre-teen boys coming out of Phillies Phatties and two boys playing softball in their front yard when I walked back.

Moved on to Lego Star Wars after I got back. Whew! I managed to get through the New Hope Super Story with literally no time to spare. That fully completes New Hope. Tomorrow. I'll work on more of the blue minikit challenges for Empire Strikes Back.

Finished the night with the 1953 film version of Kiss Me Kate. I go further into this backstage adaptation of The Taming of the Shrew at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Kiss Me Kate (1953)

No comments: