Saturday, August 24, 2019

Of Cats, Kids, and Pokemon

Kicked off an absolutely gorgeous morning at work. It wasn't busy when I came in and did the carts, but it did start picking up by lunchtime. Two baggers arrived later in the morning. One took over the carts, allowing me to show the college girl bagger how to clean the bathrooms. Surprisingly, no one ever taught her. (They didn't teach me until I asked, either.) She was a little grossed out, but was also a quick learner. She took over returns, allowing me to spend the rest of the day shelving candy and bagging.

Changed, then headed out as soon as I could. It was too nice to eat anywhere but Sonic. Needless to say, at 1 PM on a glorious Saturday afternoon, they were quite busy. There were two families eating on the patio when I arrived. I had a simple but tasty burger, tater tots, and cranberry limeade while enjoying the sunshine, fresh breezes, and lower-80's temperatures.

Had no luck for the rest of the afternoon. They only had a few New Balance Women's shoes at The Shoe Depot, and nothing on sale. Avenue is closing, but even their clearance sales weren't that great. Was in and out of Ross and Marshalls'. Considered a few CDs at Goodwill, but decided to save frivolous buying for vacation.

Cheered myself up with a much-needed water ice at Phillies Yummies when I got back into Oaklyn. I made my choice while waiting for a group of moms and their children to buy theirs. The small mint chocolate chip cup felt so nice and refreshing in the heat of the late afternoon.

Went straight into writing when I got home. Maz and her barflies come out...and turn out to have all kinds of powers as they attack Bob Fettman's gang. Bob has his own guns, given to him by his boss Vader - ice guns that freeze Maz's people and barely avoids turning Maz and Leia into ice cubes.

Rose called while I was writing. Did I want to come over for tacos? Sure, why not? I was supposed to be coming over at 5:30, but I couldn't find my socks and was ten minutes late. The kids were already eating, but I still got to enjoy tacos with broccoli and cheese and fresh tomatoes from a plant Rose had apparently bought from Five Below.

After dinner, Rose and I talked about the mattress and furniture she's giving me, and then Khai insisted on introducing me to their new kittens. As adorable as all-black Toothless was, Lynx seemed to really like me. He let me rub his ears and kept bumping my leg and rubbing my ankles for the rest of the night. Finley liked me, too. She curled into my lap after her bath and played with my fingers.

When the cats fled to quieter parts of the house, Rose suggested we all watch a movie together. Khai had popcorn, they both had ice cream, and she put on Pokemon Detective Pikachu. Insurance salesman Tim Goodman (Justice Smith) has come to Ryme City, where Pokemon and humans live in harmony, to sort through the last effects of his late police detective father Harry (Ryan Reynolds). When searching through his apartment, he comes across a purple gas that makes Pokemon aggressive...and a yellow Pikachu in a deerstalker cap (Reynolds) whom only Tim can understand. Pikachu was his father's partner, and he thinks Harry's alive. Tim's not so sure, until he encounters Lucy (Kathryn Newton), a reporter, and her Psyduck. Lucy thinks there's something going on with Ryme City founder Howard Clifford (Bill Nighy) and his neglected son Roger (Chris Geere). The trail leads them to discover genetic experiments on Pokemon, including creating Mewtwo from the legendary Mew. Lucy, Tim, and their Pokemon pals have to figure out what it is that the Cliffords are up to with the experiments, before they disrupt the harmony in Ryme City and harm Pokemon and people alike.

The critics were kind of rough on this one a couple of months ago, but I actually think it's pretty cute. The story is nothing new, but the actors are clearly having fun with their roles, and they interact well with the CGI Pokemon. Maybe they just weren't Pokemon fans. If you're into the franchise or want to see an unusual mystery, this one is worth checking out.

Went straight in the shower when I got home. Chatted with Lauren and watched The Sound of Music Live! after I finished. I go further into the first of NBC's big musical shows on my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

The Sound of Music Live!

No comments: