Friday, August 23, 2019

Busy Day In the Rain

I awoke to a gloomy, cloudy day. Had breakfast while running Looney Tunes shorts based around fairy tales. Bugs Bunny helps Hansel and Gretel out of Witch Hazel's stew pot...but then she decides that she wants "Broomstick Bunny" for dinner instead. "The Bears' Tale" from the 30's is supposed to be about Goldilocks and the Three Bears, but somehow the Big Bad Wolf and Red Riding Hood end up in there, too. "Foney Fables" is the first of two late-30's satire of various fairy tales, from the Three Little Pigs to the Boy Who Cried Wolf. " Sylvester is the papa cat in "Goldimouse and the Three Cats" whose spoiled son wants a mouse dinner. He tries, but the little blond mouse is too quick for him.

"Little Red Rodent Hood," "Little Red Walking Hood," and "Little Red Hoowinked" are all variations on "Little Red Riding Hood." Sylvester figures into the first, chasing a mouse Little Red, and the last, chasing a human Red carrying Tweety to a very angry Granny. "Walking" is a modern story that has Granny going after a very slick wolf!

Of course, just as I stepped outside to run errands, it started showering. I waited 20 minutes, but the rain wouldn't stop. I just went to the Acme and got wet. At least, while it remained humid, it was much cooler. I think it was barely in the 70's. I opened all the windows and turned off the air conditioner for the first time in days.

The rain must have cleared out the Acme. They weren't that busy when I arrived. I had plenty of room to pick up mayo and red grapes on sale an pull a Tree Tavern Frozen pizza off the frozen clearance shelf. The Acme's almond milk is still on a decent sale, and there was an online coupon. Bought dried cranberries to use for a recipe later. Restocked yogurt, peaches, a green pepper, peanut butter, shredded wheat, oatmeal, and buttermilk.

Not happy with my schedule next week at all. On one hand, one early day on Wednesday and three days off, Tuesday for counseling. My hours were cut severely, though, which I really can't afford. I've got vacation coming. I need the money. Not to mention, we're coming up on Labor Day and the beginning of the month.

Went straight home, still dodging light showers. Put everything away, then heat up the pizza for lunch while watching more cartoons. "The Trial of Mr. Wolf" and "The Turn-Tale Wolf" are retellings of "Red Riding Hood" and "The Three Little Pigs" from the wolves' point of view. "Tom Thumb In Trouble" is a more Disney-esque short that has the title character pursuing a bird he's befriended, despite his father's disapproval. Sylvester once again is trying to steal Tweety, this time from the giant's castle, in "Tweety and the Beanstalk." "A Gander at Mother Goose" is more-or-less the same thing as "Phony Fables" with Mother Goose rhymes along with fairy tales. "Senorella and the Glass Hurache" is a creative, if stereotypical, Mexican version of "Cinderella."

Headed out into the increasingly light showers as soon as I finished my pizza. I had to get my laundry done. I needed clean work clothes. I picked the right day. There were only a few people there, and I didn't have a huge load, anyway. I half-listened to Ellen and read magazines (I forgot a pen to do story notes).

As soon as I got everything put away, I thought the weather was finally right for baking. I bought the dried cranberries to make "Nantucket" cookies from the cookie cookbook Lauren sent me a few years ago. I didn't have bittersweet chocolate chips or sea salt, but they still came out beautifully, perfectly crisp on the outside and chewy and sweet on the inside.

Did more fairy tale-themed shorts while I worked. "Ancient Fistory" has Cinder-Popeye going to the ball to win the hand of Princess Olive with the help of his Grand-Pappy. Olive writes another story with her as the princess, this one the story of "Aladdin and His Magic Lamp," with Popeye in the title role. "Popeye Meets Ali Baba and His 40 Thieves" is similar, only this time, Popeye, Olive, and Wimpy take on Bluto as the title head of the infamous Arabian Knights robbers. Moved to Disney for "Ye Olden Days." This black-and-white short has minstrel Mickey competing with Prince Goofy for the hand of Princess Minnie.

I went on the computer to do some quick writing. Maz and her people emerge with guns of their own just as Fettman attacks Leia. Maz admonishes Harris to get them out of there to a place where Fettman won't find them...but Fettman has some new toys from his boss that won't make that easy...

Went out to wait for Jessa at the curb around 6:30; she arrived ten minutes later. At the very least, by this point, the rain was long gone. In fact, there was a lovely magenta sunset coming on as Jessa puled up to the curb. The Nantucket Cookies recipe made so many cookies, I had plenty to give to Jessa and Joe for dessert.

She enjoyed our morning trip to the Pop Shop a while back so much, we went again tonight. To my surprise, they weren't busy. It being the tail end of the dinner hour by then probably helped. I had a chicken sandwich with provolone, tomato, lettuce, pickles sliced into chunks, and sun-dried tomato mayo. Jessa had a burger and fries, the latter of which she shared with me. We chatted about the family, us both working outside (she delivers packages for the post office), and I told her about Buzzr and Match Game and how much I've been enjoying seeing all those old games again.

I had so much fun telling her about Match Game, I showed her one of the episodes on YouTube when we got in. I went with the "Admiral TV" incident on the syndicated night time show with Richard Dawson, host Gene Rayburn, and an answer of ace player Richard's that Gene didn't expect to be on the Super Match. I posted it the other night, but I'll post it again just because it really is that funny. Jessa and I laughed very hard; she said she'll check out a few more episodes when she gets home.

No comments: